Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Ever notice that Bombardier never mentions the subject in any shop manuals?

When brought up at the Dealer meetings their response was:

"However you do it make sure that the finish is not too coarse or the rings will be worn out before they seat in"

And

"All you need to do is remove the glaze or sheen so the rings have a fresh surface to seat into, Do NOT overdo it!"

Making sure your cylinder is within out-of-round,wear limit, and taper is the most important along with ensuring all horizontal ports are not sharp.

I learned this (picture below) from a factory trained Husqvarna chainsaw mechanic over 30 years ago and have not used any other method and I can not count the number of engines I have done this way.

A complete circle of #400 then #600 3M waterproof metal sandpaper outside the hone stones using WD40 for a lube and a variable speed drill.

Some will probably disagree on this method but as said above it has worked for me for over 30 years.

Automotive tire Tire Adhesive Gas Automotive wheel system

Attachments

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've used a ball hone in cylinders for deglazing for years. They take off very little material so I have no concerns there. Spray the bore with wd-40, run the drill for 15-20 seconds with good back and forth motion and done. Throw the cylinder in the parts washer and you're good to go.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had a guy who works on sled engines say to me when I told him I was going to use a fine grit ball hone on a cylinder " DON'T USE A BALL HONE BECAUSE WHEN THE HONE GETS TO THE PORTS IT'LL FLEX AND GO INTO THE PORT OPENING ENOUGH TO RUIN THE FINISHED EDGE AROUND THE PORT OPENING AND THE RINGS WILL WANT TO CATCH THERE " . I guess the stone hones won't " attack " the port opening's like that. I don't know, maybe someone who has more experience with this can chime in.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've heard that one many times but have never had a single problem. I use then on straight iron bores as well as nicasil.

I think that he said that because I was thinking of using it on a chrome cylinder, I was just going to give it like 2 or 3 plunges and that's it, just to break the glaze and put a little cross hatch into it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention chrome. Those I won't touch. You are on the right track on braking the glaze. Just did three cylinders this morning. Was done in less than three minutes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts