Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. I have a 2002 Grand Touring 500 Sport with DESS, electronic reverse. I've had problems with it all winter and can't figure out what is wrong with it. Initially when I would press the starter button I would get some loud clicking coming from the solenoid, so I replaced that. After that I would occasionally get some clicking when I tried to start it but most of the time I wouldn't get anything. No clicks, nothing when I hit the start button. I replaced the start/reverse button. I removed the starter and cleaned up the brushes. Checked/replaced all fuses. I removed all ground and positive cables, cleaned them up to a shine and reinstalled. I still have nothing.

I can pull start the sled so I know it runs. I can run jumper cables straight from the battery to the starter and it turns over just fine so it's not the battery.

My question is could my problems be related to the MPEM? If the MPEM goes out are the symptoms I am describing indicative of an MPEM failure?

If it is the MPEM does anyone know where I could find a used one? The model # on mine is 512 059 414, but through my research I found another part number which is 512 059 467 which should work on my sled.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does the electric starter spring push the gear out far enough to catch the other gear? Mine had been making a ticking at high rpms, been directed to change the spring . Maybe this could be your problem , due to you having Np starting with the cord

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's definitely not the starter. I can hook directly up to the battery and it cranks over just fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts