Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had all the reasons a sled won't run given to me today I can handle. 6 inches of fresh snow and I can't get out the driveway.

I am a industrial mechanic, I can tear down and repair any thing. But I know that sometimes it's better to leave it to some one who knows. So when I decided to buy this little sled off my neighbor's brother I took it to the local dude and said "check it out".

$300 in labor and he said the carbs are wrong, it's too humid, I am running cheap plugs, fresh powder it tough on sleds and if I called and give him another chance who knows.

So is it the sled or the mechanic?

The sled is a 1991 formula mx, 2 up long track with reverse and electric start. It apparently has a same year 617 that is not original and 38 mm carbs board out to 40 mm.

The mechanic has a good reputation but I have no history to know him myself. And I have never had a sled before and may never again.

Will changing the carbs make a difference?

Grog

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I was living the problem not explaining it. Sorry about that.

The previous owner complained he could not get it to run well "boggy/no power"

I did a compression check, 135 psi both cylinders. So I figured I could handle most everything else and I bought it. (bit of a sucker for punishment)

I cleaned it out and changed the battery. I noticed it had been wired wrong and the starter appeared to be wired wrong. I thought maybe it was draining the electrical and perhaps even had a fire. (some evidence of meltage)

I removed and cleaned the carbs. One of the jets was cracked. I replaced and ran the sled. OH JOY ! I thought I had It. I put the air box back on and took it for another rip. WRONG… not so good starting to sputter.

This is the part where in my infinite wisdom think take it to a pro. I AM A DUMBASS. He tells me a jet fell out.

But since he was there he with out my permission replaced the carbides and spent 2 hrs on re jetting and setting the carbs. Replaced the head light and tried to sell me a replacement seat, windshield, tail light lens, ski covers and more.

No, no, no, I go home and OH JOY it runs great… for an hour. So I take it back and he %^*# with it some more and recommends the carbs are wrong ( he told me that last time but it was ok then that's why it took so long to set them) an need to be replaced.

I am also told that Iridium plugs and premium gas will help in the warmer weather to stop the plugs from fowling. So I bought 4 what's another $50 now.

6 inches of snow OH YEAH !!! take a day of work line up a buddy (I am giddy with the excitement)

Not even out of the yard. Sputter. OK I am prepared for this, drop in the new plugs and away we go… wrong, it is every thing I can do to keep it running. Get over to buddies place and (had to use the second set of plugs half way there) tell him I am not 100% and he follows me home.

That is when I posted.

UPDATE

I have slammed the shop to every one I know and talked to another shop. Maybe the secondary is not closing back up and staling out the motor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey if it went throw another set of plugs i think your jetting is too rich it would make it bog alot. Another thing to check is the needle setting on your slide it can effect it also. Make sure your air mixture screw is correct. PM me and I will try to give you specs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts