Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Yeah im a rocket scientist, i put the hoses In the wrong spots after I cleaned my carbs. Whoops lol

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I just edited my post, I'm a goof. When I cleaned my carbs a few days ago my primer hose got put in either the breather barb or the float over flow line. Put the hoses back to normal runs awsome.

·
It's all in reading the parts before you run t
1,694 Posts
My guess was going to be the major factor of outside air temperature. It is about 40 degrees too warm for snowmobiles.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was about 40f yesterday, I'm also jetted at 290 on mains. I also thought it might be way to rich.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Ok, bog is back. I know my tether gave me trouble previously.

·
Registered
209 Posts
my carb set up is 300 290 mains , needle 3rd clip down from top , and 25 pilots and runs great like that all summer with some air screw adjusting of coarse my guess would be clutching if ur carbs are set up and clean and all ur hoses are correct lol

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bad plug wire or a boot, found that put before I went to bed last night. My clutches are spotless, and I just put a Goodwin clutch kit in. Yeah I can't believe i put the hoses on wrong, I was face palming pretty bad. I'm running the same carb set up, minus staggered jetting. I hope it truly is the plug wire/boot issue.

·
1,694 Posts
Hey 440x, can I ask why the staggered jetting?

·
Registered
958 Posts
The rotary valve engines use staggered jets because the valve closes off the intake in opposite directions side to side. The mag needs to be slightly richer. With newer designs however this is completely pointless and for ditchbanging and tailstanding shouldn't effect your overall PAH! percentages that much

·
Registered
209 Posts
because i try and keep my plug readings and piston wash as close as posible and when i ran 310 and 310 one side ran bang on other was rich so i staggered them to keep both cyclinders running simular so i dont bog on one side or anything just what my sled wanted

·
Registered
209 Posts
The rotary valve engines use staggered jets because the valve closes off the intake in opposite directions side to side. The mag needs to be slightly richer. With newer designs however this is completely pointless and for ditchbanging and tailstanding shouldn't effect your overall PAH! percentages that much
i find my my mag side always ran cooler witch required a smaller jet guess my mechine is wierd but she runs bang on all year !

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Swapped out the pto side plug boot and it's running like a champ. Thanks for the help guys, I really am pumped to ride it this year. Look forward to running my can I made this winter.

·
1,694 Posts
That's what I thought, just thought I'd hear out the reasons. To each his own. Whatever it takes to make you PAH!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just cant kill this bog, it doesnt appear that it sucking in fuel. Im getting plenty of spark, But it doesnt want to draw fuel in from the carb on the pto side. Im hoping its not an internal seal. Maybe reeds?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's something electrical, because if I pull the cap off the plug it will still continue to send power, this in turn shocking me a little(even through welding gloves). Once I let the arc travel to the cap of the plug at a certain distance it will then start to run the pto side. If i put the cap back on it starts to die and backfires a little. However the mag side will still run keeping the sled at a week idle and the lights all get dim. I even took the cap off and let it do it's thing from the wire and it would run if there was an arc, but if it touched it would not run. I checked all the fuel components, everything appears to be perfect. I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Switched wires, to opposite sides still nothing.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok I did a test with a snap on tester and I got the following:
150 in the mag side
174 in pto side!! Holy crap, that's high for race gas isnt it???

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
First off gages vary, but 174 is perfectly normal for a 2006/2007 sled. 150 is perfect for a 2003/2004/2005. You seem to have both and this is the bigger problem.

Lots of guys installed 06/07 head inserts into the slow '03 sled in an effort to wake them up. Guys also ran thin base gaskets with the stock heads or even did a mixture of both. You will need to verify what you have going on. The best way is to tear it down and go through it. I am nearly certain you have an issue with the low compression side. Scuffed/scored or detonated piston......something is up there. This is why I suggest tearing into it and replace the pistons on rings, verify the base gasket and examine the head closely to see if it has been milled, if it is stock or if it is a 2006/2007 head insert.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts