Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so after I run my sled real hard, if I shut it down without letting it idle for a minute or two.. it will backfire after it shut it off.. its a LOUD bang, sometimes a flame will shoot out.. Is this bad or harmful? or is it just because I haven't let it idle long before shutting it off.. I don't think its a big deal, but it makes me jump everytime, and everyone around me.. its kinda funny when it happens at the parking lot of a resteraunt and everyone jumps thinking its a gunshot or something lol

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just flip the choke to make it idle down. Wait 5 seconds then shut her down.

Should help quite a bit.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks guys.. just needed some reassurance for piece of mind.. its a brand new engine so I got a little nervous

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Backfiring all the time is not good. It can blow the crank seals.

Backfires come from unburnt fuel left in the can.

Let your sled come to a complete idle, then wait 10-15 seconds. This will burn off all the fuel and you won't have the backfire.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I find that it does it more for sure after a hard run and not so much when just doing easy trail miles. Its a build up of unburnt fuel in the exhaust. Sometimes we can get pretty good at waiting about 3-4 seconds and timing it, "BANG"!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
The sled could be overheating, carbon build up on the plugs. Not something you want, as stated that backfiring can take out a crank seal real quick.

Check your plugs, change them if need be and make sure the gap is correct. As stated let it idle down for a bit and shut her off.

·
Registered
925 Posts
My 05 SS does this, I think because of a high idle I can't get fixed. And friends 07 500ss with only like 3000 miles does it too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts