Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see what you guys are running for stud patterns on the backcountry powdermax 1.75" tracks.... looking to go all dbl backers being its the single ply track.... let me know what your running

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I gotta ask... Why would you stud an off trail, ditch banging machine? No slam intended, just curious
Well we don?t ride ditches up here in Maine, cause we have about 15 thousand miles of well maintained high speed trails, as well as millions of acre of public access mountain and backwoods riding. We ride a good mix of both trail and off trail, and it?s only 15 minutes to jump across the border to Quebec that has some insane trails. A renegade with a 1.75 is a great trail for doing both, but to get the most out of you machine in the trails studs are a necessary evil up here with hard pack and ice. The studs also chew up the hardback in the spring early in the morning on the way out to the off trail and helps with cooling.

The northeast is a different animal. We might ride 65 miles of fast wide rippin ice covered trails as aggressive as the machine allows, then drop into a valley that hasn?t seen a sled all season and ride powder for the rest of the day. The next day we might ride all off trail, the next might bang out 350 miles in Quebec on trails. The 1.75 track studded allows for all of the above.

Granted, if I just jumped around and did field and open plain riding or rode in the hills I would have a paddle track with no studs. Unfortunately up here we get a fair amount of ice with melting and freezing, then fresh snow, etc. It?s nothing to be cooking 80 mpg, tap the breaks coming into a corner and have a 200 yard section of trail that gets sun all day all iced up. Without studs it could be serious carnage.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well we don?t ride ditches up here in Maine, cause we have about 15 thousand miles of well maintained high speed trails, as well as millions of acre of public access mountain and backwoods riding. We ride a good mix of both trail and off trail, and it?s only 15 minutes to jump across the border to Quebec that has some insane trails. A renegade with a 1.75 is a great trail for doing both, but to get the most out of you machine in the trails studs are a necessary evil up here with hard pack and ice. The studs also chew up the hardback in the spring early in the morning on the way out to the off trail and helps with cooling.

The northeast is a different animal. We might ride 65 miles of fast wide rippin ice covered trails as aggressive as the machine allows, then drop into a valley that hasn?t seen a sled all season and ride powder for the rest of the day. The next day we might ride all off trail, the next might bang out 350 miles in Quebec on trails. The 1.75 track studded allows for all of the above.

Granted, if I just jumped around and did field and open plain riding or rode in the hills I would have a paddle track with no studs. Unfortunately up here we get a fair amount of ice with melting and freezing, then fresh snow, etc. It?s nothing to be cooking 80 mpg, tap the breaks coming into a corner and have a 200 yard section of trail that gets sun all day all iced up. Without studs it could be serious carnage.
Well said, same reason I'm studding my BCX

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well said, same reason I'm studding my BCX
im looking to put a 1.75 on my XR 1200 renegade. do i need to install bigger tunnel protectors when i stud my track?? im going from a 1.375 studded 1.25 ripsaw to a powdermax 1.75 with 1.87 sno studs

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
yup def studding mine for NH and ME ridding. also you can run into a lake that is straight ice. the wind will blow it all right off, we use alot of lakes to get to the pow faster. its mostly a safety issue.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
im looking to put a 1.75 on my XR 1200 renegade. do i need to install bigger tunnel protectors when i stud my track?? im going from a 1.375 studded 1.25 ripsaw to a powdermax 1.75 with 1.87 sno studs
If you are studded now and have tunnel protectors, you won't need anything additional. Actually this is true for an XP, can't be positive about the XR, but I assume you have the necessary 1 inch protectors up there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you are studded now and have tunnel protectors, you won't need anything additional. Actually this is true for an XP, can't be positive about the XR, but I assume you have the necessary 1 inch protectors up there.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
181 Posts

What part of Maine are you from?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts