Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whos sled backfires? Mine was, it is sooo funny cause I scared my one bud a few times when we stop he pulls next to me, then BANG!!

I couple 800HO's pull up to us stopped at a sign, then BANG!.....BANG!....

HaHa

·
Registered
478 Posts
Last year BRP responded to a question on the tech forums if the boom would hurt anything. The BRP representative said it's the nature of the pipe/canister when an imperfection such as a weld bead gets too hot then ignites the exhaust at shutoff. They said nothing will get damaged. Therefore, BOOM away!! And have fun when those around you jump up!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just rode with a guy in Canada riding 500SS, his trick after he comes to a stop is to tag the choke lever for a split second, RPM comes right down to a low idle so he could shut it off without the exhaust explosion. Otherwise its 10-20 seconds before it comes down on its own. Just another problem with carbureted 2-strokes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
quote:They said nothing will get damaged.

uh,I kno It will blow the seal right out of an 03/800.

quote:Just rode with a guy in Canada riding 500SS, his trick after he comes to a stop is to tag the choke lever for a split second, RPM comes right down to a low idle so he could shut it off without the exhaust explosion

thats the way to dooit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK GUYS...LOL. (Idle down or not?) I was out 2 weeks ago when mine back fired and a guy came up to me and said...Hey miss...lol You might want to let your machine idle down before you shut it off so you don,t get the back fire.So My question is...Idle down or does it matter? This sight is great..You guys fixed my last problem...lol. Not liking to start after warm...Keep throttle on a little when starting now and works like it should...Cheers K

·
Registered
682 Posts
Maritime Lobster said:
OK GUYS...LOL. (Idle down or not?) I was out 2 weeks ago when mine back fired and a guy came up to me and said...Hey miss...lol You might want to let your machine idle down before you shut it off so you don,t get the back fire.So My question is...Idle down or does it matter? This sight is great..You guys fixed my last problem...lol. Not liking to start after warm...Keep throttle on a little when starting now and works like it should...Cheers K
[snapback]726514[/snapback]​
let it idle down. i let it idle for around 20-30 seconds and no backfire.sounds kinda hoopdy if it backfires in front of others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
NH-2004-600SDI said:
Just rode with a guy in Canada riding 500SS, his trick after he comes to a stop is to tag the choke lever for a split second, RPM comes right down to a low idle so he could shut it off without the exhaust explosion. Otherwise its 10-20 seconds before it comes down on its own. Just another problem with carbureted 2-strokes.
[snapback]726280[/snapback]​
Or you could just spend 5 minutes to take your carbs off and adjust the idle screws on your carbs. Had an '05 500ss and after adjusting the carbs, would idle down right away and not backfire.

·
Master Electrician
2,304 Posts
vwdriver222 said:
NH-2004-600SDI said:
[snapback]726280[/snapback]​
Or you could just spend 5 minutes to take your carbs off and adjust the idle screws on your carbs. Had an '05 500ss and after adjusting the carbs, would idle down right away and not backfire.
[snapback]726674[/snapback]​
Ditto! A good carbcleaning and adjustment will alieviate this problem. It is however always a good idea to let them idle for a few seconds before hitting the kill switch. ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
snodood said:

quote:Just rode with a guy in Canada riding 500SS, his trick after he comes to a stop is to tag the choke lever for a split second, RPM comes right down to a low idle so he could shut it off without the exhaust explosion

thats the way to dooit.
[snapback]726330[/snapback]​
i use the choke also to get the r's down before i turn it off! bumping the choke up 1/2 and then to the off position will put fuel into your cylnders and cool them so you dont have to worry about blown seals etc.

G

·
snodood said:

thats the way to dooit.
[snapback]726330[/snapback]​
I just started recently to doo that and have`nt had a backfire since(when I remember to doo it that is!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts