Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1995 Polaris 300 4x4 (air cooled two stroke) that's been in our family since 1998ish and am in the process of stripping it down and fixing or replacing anything that needs attention. We've worked this little guy hard towing trailers full of firewood and plowing snow. It's been a good machine. It's mine now and it will be used at our farm property doing the same kind of work. It will never see the trails, its a worker bee only. Anyway, I'm going to redo the top end and wondering if I should do the bottom end too. How long do these things last? My thinking is its a slow turning motor. Nothing like a snowmobile, but so many starts and stops, hot and cold cycles. Must take a toll? Any thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
put a piston in it and just go through the chassis and suspension fixing worn out bushings.

put a new starter drive on it, maybe a new starter if its getting bad

otherwise there isn't much to do to the 300 its a very good engine
Even though it's a "Poo" engine?

(I'm giving you the Dr. Evil, pinky to the corner of the mouth look)

·
Registered
452 Posts
If it still runs well, I personally would not touch the engine, however; as mentioned, go through all the suspension parts replacing worn bushings and anything else that is worn out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the last year or two it's been hard to start when cold, then smokes like hell until very warmed up. It's definitely time for a top end.

It's amazing how tough these things are. Twenty plus years old and we've done very little to this thing. Gear box oil changed every few years, new starter a couple of years ago. I think it's still the original belt. It's shot, but was still getting us around. One of the front shocks has leaked all of it's oil out so it leans to the front right, and the rear drive chain is stretched way out. Other than that it's pretty solid. I told my wife we're going to go for another twenty years. It will probably outlast her...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Bore it and throw in a piston. It'll be like new. Check the crank if you're ready to spend money on it. If you're not just do the top.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I would replace the crank for sure, it's 20+ years old and single cylinder cranks are usually cheap. That'll give you a chance to replace the crank seals too.

·
Always wrenching on toys
1,477 Posts
ya, we got an old Big Boss 250 4X6 with the electric dump box....cool little toy. I wouldn't do the crank unless you get there and it doesn't look good (rust or sloppy arms out of spec). Those darn things will run forever as they are not high performance 2 strokes.

We had issues with the brakes and replaced all the calipers with aftermarket ones....she still gets the job done today...and we make her work.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Guess you have to look at the whole unit. My 99 just got it's first belt this week but the brakes are bad and really do not want to replace calipers pads a rotors . But a new rig is what 7k and this one still pushes snow and runs just fine.

Surprised how long these machines hold up. May be time to look at everything and add it all up then decide.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys,

I decided to give it a total overhaul. It's in good shape, fits a need very well, and it's "part of the family". I'll have less than a thousand bucks into it for all the repairs and it will be in like new condition. For a worker bee around the old farm property I don't need a liquid cooled, fuel injected machine. This will be my vintage toy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts