Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put 330 miles on my 04 sdi with the USI spx skis with 7in shaper bars. Powder and soft trails they are awesome, I have never had a straighter tracking ski ever, never a hint of darting. The problem was most of these miles were on very hard pack ice base with a couple inches of frozen snow on top, fast trails with so much bite that it is hard to spin the track much. Steering effort in sharp cornings made me wish that I had my precisions back on, I am a good size guy with big shoulders and arms but this was too much. I went thru all suspension adjustment and changed riding position and the only thing that worked was to slow way down before the corner and accelerate thru but then the skis were off the ground and I was getting smoked by my buddies. My question is how much does difference do the shaper bars make vs. regular on steering effort? I have set of new 9 in shapers that I need to exchange or I may have to switch skis when my wife rides it. Thanks

·
RETIRED
11,148 Posts
this is just my opinion..........
i switched from the stockers to the usi's this year also
and noticed the same thing....
but after 4 rides, i dont even notice the effort anymore
i think it just takes some getting used to

your wife might have a hard time with theses beasts though

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mxzrevman, Are you using shaper bars or regular carbides? I rode all weekend hoping that I would not have make any quick moves in corners to avoid some-one. It would be impossible to make a quick turn if you had any weight on the front of the sled.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I put USI spx's on my Rev this year as well. Got a great deal on them at the Toronto snowmobile show. They only had shaper bars at the show so I chose the minimal amound of carbide available .... 4" as these skis are very aggressive. Haven't had them on the trails yet but they blow the precisions away ripping around the fields by my house. They definitely require more effort but go exactly where I want them to. However IMO shaper bars are overkill on these skis, once I wear mine out I'll be going to standard round bars w/ 4" carbide.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ren said:
I put USI spx's on my Rev this year as well. Got a great deal on them at the Toronto snowmobile show. They only had shaper bars at the show so I chose the minimal amound of carbide available .... 4" as these skis are very aggressive. Haven't had them on the trails yet but they blow the precisions away ripping around the fields by my house. They definitely require more effort but go exactly where I want them to. However IMO shaper bars are overkill on these skis, once I wear mine out I'll be going to standard round bars w/ 4" carbide.
[snapback]259590[/snapback]​
Sounds like a good move, I just need to find some Conan to buy my 9in shapers. The steering effort is only excessive on hard pack, any thing else they are awesome.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ttt

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've got 7.5" shapers on C&A's and they take some effort to turn. I'd think a standard carbide would take less effort to turn. No matter what carbide you go with you are going to have more steering effort because its a more agressive ski. If the steering effort isn't there, your ability to turn isn't either. As you found out with the precisions in loose snow. You can't have the best of both worlds. Either you have a ski that turns the sled now and it takes some muscle. Or you have a ski that turns the sled sometimes with little effort. I chose to go with a ski that turns when I want it to, not when it feels like turning.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Jeb said:
I put 330 miles on my 04 sdi with the USI spx skis with 7in shaper bars. Powder and soft trails they are awesome, I have never had a straighter tracking ski ever, never a hint of darting. The problem was most of these miles were on very hard pack ice base with a couple inches of frozen snow on top, fast trails with so much bite that it is hard to spin the track much. Steering effort in sharp cornings made me wish that I had my precisions back on, I am a good size guy with big shoulders and arms but this was too much. I went thru all suspension adjustment and changed riding position and the only thing that worked was to slow way down before the corner and accelerate thru but then the skis were off the ground and I was getting smoked by my buddies. My question is how much does difference do the shaper bars make vs. regular on steering effort? I have set of new 9 in shapers that I need to exchange or I may have to switch skis when my wife rides it. Thanks
[snapback]259433[/snapback]​
I also just installed the USI SPX skis with 6" of carbide Shaper bars. I love the look and construction of the skis but the steering effort is huge.... I mean on the icy hard pack, little snow on top of trails we have in NYS right now the steering effort is way too hard, even for a 245 lb. rider like myself. I had the Precisions before and yes they do suck in deep snow or powder but now I am scared that if I have to turn quick it will be impossible because the effort is so hard with these skis... I almost think these skis are just applicable for Sno Cross and really aren't designed for trail riding on packed snow conditions..

I guess I will try the std. round bars in 4" of carbide like Iron Dog and a few others on here have recommended....

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2002mxzx said:
I've got 7.5" shapers on C&A's and they take some effort to turn. I'd think a standard carbide would take less effort to turn. No matter what carbide you go with you are going to have more steering effort because its a more agressive ski. If the steering effort isn't there, your ability to turn isn't either. As you found out with the precisions in loose snow. You can't have the best of both worlds. Either you have a ski that turns the sled now and it takes some muscle. Or you have a ski that turns the sled sometimes with little effort. I chose to go with a ski that turns when I want it to, not when it feels like turning.
[snapback]260426[/snapback]​
I disagree, You can have some of both. The steering effort I expirienced in hard pack was so difficult you could not respond quick to a sharp corner, I have ridden with 10 in woodys V bars that turned easier. I am going with round bars instead of the shapers, the ski design should do well in loose snow and be less effort on hard pack. The shapers and spx combo sure are good in powder.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
You can't really overcome the steering effort on the USI skis no matter how much suspension tweaking is done. Yes, if you tweak, you will eliminate VERY minimal effort. If you tweak too much, the skis will either be WAY harder to turn, or you your skis will turn so easy, you might as well put the precisions on. If you go to different bars, it will help alittle too, but it will be still harder than the precisions due to the DEEP keel on the USI. PLus, the shaper bars really make it RAIL around corners. There is a happy medium, but it wont be as much as you want it...The only thing i can really tell you is equip your precisions with some MASSIVE carbide, or pump some iron and get used to the hard steering effort on the USI's...I guess i dont notice the added steering effort as much since i SNOX all the time, but i wont lie, they are more diffucult to turn. I can tell you one thing, I sure will take the added steering effort with USI's than risking your life railing around an icy turn with the precisions...Trust me, EVERY person i have talked to says the USI's are beasts to turn once they put them on, but in the middle of the season, and they are just RAILING corners and busting powder, they say they dont even notice it anymore...You'll get used to it, give it time...-chris

Oh, the USI"s are leeps and bounds over any other with their appearance too...

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will take a icey turn any day with precisions, just not soft snow. I am going to round bars and take my precisions along for days with hardpack. The USI s are awesome in soft trails or powder.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
440man said:
You can't really overcome the steering effort on the USI skis no matter how much suspension tweaking is done. Yes, if you tweak, you will eliminate VERY minimal effort. If you tweak too much, the skis will either be WAY harder to turn, or you your skis will turn so easy, you might as well put the precisions on. If you go to different bars, it will help alittle too, but it will be still harder than the precisions due to the DEEP keel on the USI. PLus, the shaper bars really make it RAIL around corners. There is a happy medium, but it wont be as much as you want it...The only thing i can really tell you is equip your precisions with some MASSIVE carbide, or pump some iron and get used to the hard steering effort on the USI's...I guess i dont notice the added steering effort as much since i SNOX all the time, but i wont lie, they are more diffucult to turn. I can tell you one thing, I sure will take the added steering effort with USI's than risking your life railing around an icy turn with the precisions...Trust me, EVERY person i have talked to says the USI's are beasts to turn once they put them on, but in the middle of the season, and they are just RAILING corners and busting powder, they say they dont even notice it anymore...You'll get used to it, give it time...-chris

Oh, the USI"s are leeps and bounds over any other with their appearance too...

[snapback]260517[/snapback]​

Ok 440 man thanks for feedback. Well at least I know now that I did not so anything wrong with install. You are right, these things are a beast to turn but I did notice as the day went on it was a little easier. I think most of the hard steering effort was caused by extremely wet, hard pack but icy snow. I will try them once more once we get some snow on the Hill but if I still can't turn them, They will be for sale...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts