Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm in the process of ordering a new sled. I would like to know your opinions on the articulated rear suspension. Will it handle abuse? How much does it weigh? Is performance improved? Trying to figure out if I need it. Most of the time on my current sleds you can back up a foot or so then barrel your way through a tough situation. Really what I'm asking is it worth the money?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Worth the Money??? I don't understand. Weight ??? As in extra track and rail??? What do you mean by abuse ??? What sled are you referring to???? Tundra LT vs Sport?? Tundra Extreme comes standard. Expy Sport and Skandic same .....dc

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Not much difference in weight (less than a pound or two).

If you're going to be jumping a lot and possibly landing on the back of the track, I would bet that it wouldn't take that kind of abuse for long.

But like Skunklover asks, what sled are you looking at and what kind of riding do you do?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to be getting a summit or tundra x. I noticed that the summit also has the articulated rear suspension. I'm looking at a (154 track). What I'm wondering is will the summit still have t-motion with the articulated rear or does it replace the entire skid? Abuse would be the occasional jump and slushy lakes. Does it greatly improve reverse and performance on bumpy bush trails? Most of my riding is slow and technical, sometimes a meadows with deep powder. Mostly up/down breaking trail and short steep hills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
I can't answer most of your questions but I can tell you the articulating rear greatly increases the machines ability to back up in deep snow. It will save you a lot of lifting when your stuck!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Pretty sure that there isn't an articulating skid in any Summit. The SC5U is the articulating skid in the Tundra Xtreme and shared among the other Tundras and utility machines. Good for backing up, climbing a ramp, and follows the shape of a concave hill.

The skid on the Summit is the Tmotion, which effectively lays over a couple degrees in combination with the flex edge track to help initiate a carve or side hill manoeuvre, but gives up a little stability on hard pack.

The only reasonable solution, as is the case whenever you encounter these difficult decisions, is to buy BOTH a Summit and a Tundra X. That way you'll never worry about what you might be missing.

I have all kinds of thirty thousand dollar solutions to your ten thousand dollar problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you go to "build your own tab on the ski doo website and select the 154 track the articulated suspension is an option, if it doesn't replace the tmotion entirely I will get the summit for sure. I like the bit wider stance as I'm getting older and I can't react as quickly as l used to when I hit something buried under the snow, the summit should be much less like this.

Sent from my IPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think it would be a good choice with a Summit with the 154 inch track with the rear articulation. My son has one with a 146 inch and it seems to work very well except for not being able to back up. Although I'm pretty certain you aren't supposed to tow with a Summit. I think I remember reading that they have such a light tunnel on them that you can't pull with them? Maybe you should look at the Expedition Sport. You get a wider ski stance, and the long track with articulation. Everyone in this forum who has one seems to love them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You will never go back after having a articulated rear skid. It is one of the single best things you can put on a sled where the machine is operated off trail and at slower speeds

·
Registered
508 Posts
I seen a 16' freeride 154" yesterday with the articulated rails, still had the tmotion as well

·
Registered
430 Posts
After today where I spent part of it weaving through tamarack swamp with snow up to my waist, the articulated track was the single most valuable thing I had. I am one of those proud Expy Sport owners and it got me out of some thought spots, especially where I miss an opening and snag a tree with an a-arm. The articulated track also helps to smooth bumps and bridge ridges. Where one track might be mostly off the ground, an articulated back end let's the track fall back into the snow and actually work for you. That being said, it takes seconds to lock out if you ever fear for its durability.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You'll always be happy with your choice if you any idea at all what you want in a sled. When it comes down to two choices, I think most will be happy with either. I was debating between a renegade 900 or an expedition sport 900. I got the expedition after and love it, but I bet I would also love a renegade if that's what I had. Both the same price, I just opted for the longer track, deeper lug, articulation, and second seat over a more advanced suspension and shocks etc. I briefly considered a summit as well, but after riding one decided the more narrow stance wasn't for me and my 90% flat land riding. Its not a machine for towing either I would assume. Long engine life was a priority as well. I keep things way to long.

I did back up one time on the brief time I did get to ride it (no snow now) and my buddy was looking at me and amazed I backed up where I did. I cant lift the machine, any of them really, and the less struggle backing out of someplace I should not be into, is great on my aging back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts