Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic might be old but Im just wondering is there gona be a law against it?? What about the race bikes, cars, truck whatever with theyre loud exhuast?

·
Doo Rider
3,171 Posts
Yes, there is the possibility that you will get a ticket. $110 I think it is.

The difference between the bikes, cars, and trucks, is they are on public roads, and alot of them come stock (key word) with loud exhausts.

I have seen and heard about cars with loud modded exhausts getting stopped and tickets also on public roads. So don't think were being singled out, you just don't hear about it cause your on DOOTALK, not CARTALK!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
1997mach1 said:
i hope not, i live in canda and i got a stinger
[snapback]277041[/snapback]​
if it's no louder than the stock pipe..it's not a problem. if it is...your giving the sport a black eye and it reflects on all of us and results in trail closures...PERIOD!!! loud pipes benefit NO ONE!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got a J&T can on my 800 Renegade. Last week I was up in North Bay for 4 days of riding, trails were fantastic by the way. Anyways, we were pulled over on the first day of our riding by 2 OPP and 4 Stop(Trail Warden more or less) guys.

All they were doing was asking for Insurance and License, no complaints about loud exhaust or even checked. Then again, my exhaust is pretty mellow at low RPM's, just sounds loud at WOT

·
Registered
759 Posts
not an issue in nb yet but with the class action law suit won last moth or so , in ont or qc i see that changing. in the northern half of nb snowmobiling is big tourism dollars and they bend rules hard to promote it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Modded exhaust will get you a ticket on the trails in Ontario. They are trying to keep the landowners in mind when they make these laws. A lot of the trails we ride pass right by landowner homes that are nice enough to let us use their land for our sport.

As for bikes, they are no club trails for bikes and therefore they are less enforced. Just so you know, last year I was stopped once over 4000km, this year in 1300km I have been stopped 4 times. They are out in full force this year, so if you have a modded exhaust and it's loud expect to pay a $110 fine in Ontario. Again many landowners are complaining and the OFSC is listening, becuase if it wasn't for the landowners I'd have no where to ride

·
Registered
345 Posts
BigReving said:
Modded exhaust will get you a ticket on the trails in Ontario. They are trying to keep the landowners in mind when they make these laws. A lot of the trails we ride pass right by landowner homes that are nice enough to let us use their land for our sport.

As for bikes, they are no club trails for bikes and therefore they are less enforced. Just so you know, last year I was stopped once over 4000km, this year in 1300km I have been stopped 4 times. They are out in full force this year, so if you have a modded exhaust and it's loud expect to pay a $110 fine in Ontario. Again many landowners are complaining and the OFSC is listening, becuase if it wasn't for the landowners I'd have no where to ride
[snapback]277102[/snapback]​
What I love is how 340lb dudes put a can on their sled and brag about dropping weight...*%@

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ontario Motorized Snow Vehicle Act 18.(1)

Muffler in working order

18. (1) No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle unless it is equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation and no person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle which has a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon the motorized snow vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (1).

I've been with guys who have been stung, and at other times the warden doesn't seem to care. I belive the reg's should include a max decibel level, instead of out lawing all exhast mods. Some aren't much louder than stock

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

Muffler in working order

18. (1) No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle unless it is equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation and no person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle which has a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon the motorized snow vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (1).

I've been with guys who have been stung, and at other times the warden doesn't seem to care. I belive the reg's should include a max decibel level, instead of out lawing all exhast mods. Some aren't much louder than stock
Hence the reason I said loud. Most cops know who's sled is modded by the sound coming down the trail. If your can is close to stock they will have no reason to lift the cowl and check. The only time they will check is if they feel the sound coming down the trail is extreme. And to be honest I don't blame them. Pipes, cans etc are meant for lake riding etc. I have a 96 FIII that I use for lake runs and radar runs and it is loud, but my REV is for the trails and the stock exhaust is just fine.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Right now the OFSC is having a hard time securing landowners for trails because of two things: 1) Idiots that can't stay on the marked trail and therefore ruin land, and 2) loud sleds that are disruptive. Remember there is not timeframe you can ride your sled on these trails. I have been on them as late as 2 am. Without respect for landowners we will have nowhere to ride but lakes and rivers. And the REV was not built for lakes and rivers. That's Cat country

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tapped Out said:

Muffler in working order

This here sais you cant have a modified muffler or straight muffler, but it does not see to me (I'm not a lawyer) to specifically outlaw EVERY aftermarket muffler. If you have an after market muffler that is not modified and is in good working order, seem to me you should be okay. Now stingers may not qualify as mufflers, but some cans, like the MBRP's, aren't that loud, and they do muffle. It should be based on noise, not equipment. And *%@ is a hollywood muffler? Does that mean that 'Ahnuld' cant ride with us? What if he doesn't come back?

·
Doo Rider
3,171 Posts
here is the 2nd part of the Motorized Snow Vehicle Act for ontario

Removing or modifying any component

(2) No person shall drive or permit to be driven any motorized snow vehicle upon which any component or device, which was required under the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time that the motorized snow vehicle was manufactured or imported into Canada, has been removed, modified or rendered inoperative. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (2).

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just don't get it. Someone has invited you onto their property to ride your sled and all you have to do is follow the rules. Think if it was you private property. Yeah, Yeah I'm sure some of you would let everyone do what they want. Heard it all before. Until it's 3 months long (not this year) at all times of the night and your wife has had it. I hope those 2 issues receive more enforcement. So the rest of us don't lose anymore trails.

"What I love is how 340lb dudes put a can on their sled and brag about dropping weight...*%@ "

Too true and too funny

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.