Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anywhere to ride in Maine yet? Can anyone recommend a snowmobile friendly hotel. I'm looking to go up Jan 15-18... Rangeley looks awesome.. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Rangeley Inn is really nice, i like the rooms out back because you can park at your door with your sled and its right on the main trail right across from the lake or the main trail out back. the main hotel is very nice too, old school, very clean etc. As far as friendly for sledders its great, but snow is an issue right now because i think they are only ridding in certain areas and idk about the lake at this point. Id say not just yet, we need snow!!! Its a great place to go, ride anywhere from there.

·
Registered
470 Posts
People have been doing a little riding here down east, but it's wicked bony going in most places. Supposed to get rain tomorrow (Sunday) and even what little snow we have will most likely get washed away.

But, on the bright side, after things freeze back up after the rain, the skating will probably be good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see rain on the Accuweather forcast for Sunday, but it looks like cold weather and snow almost every day after. I don't have many weekend that I can travel so I'm going to give it whirl. I'll be calling Rangeley Inn Monday morning to see how the rain effected the trails. I hope I can ride a little bit, 8 hours each way with no traffic... Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just got back from 1 week in the county. Most trails were as good as it gets. There were a few water holes but froze up

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Check out the MSA snow report web site before you make plans a lot of reports to view and you can look at the ITS map if you don't have one so you'll know the areas that are being reported on. Just got home from a 2 1/2 day 570mile ride in the county and would give it an 8 to 10 for condition.10 up top and an 8 below Caribou.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Grooming in the Greenville area and once out of town things are pretty good especially in the back country. Rode a little over 400 miles so far. The rain coming will be a good thing to settle things down a bit, get the snow off the ice and make things biullet proof --especially if we get the cold and snow predicted for next week. Later in the week things should be awesome.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for info! I'm dying to ride so I'll be heading out next Thursday-Monday if the reports are decent. Where do you stay in Greenville?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Way up in the valley I just went on a short 50 kilometers
Break in ride on an a 2016 expedition 900 ace sport and the trails are a little rough even though the groomer had passed. Needs more snow.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Went to Katahdin in Thursday night and rode friday. Trails were great in Millinocket area to kokadjo but kokadjo to Pittston farms arnt grooming because there isn't enough snow that way and hasn't completely frozen. Very boney in places and we just need more cold and snow plain and simple.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Up in the st. John valley Martin's motel in Madawaska is a good place. I should open a bed and breakfast here in my big old farm house, right next to Maine trail system 81. No need to trailer to ride.Discount for ski-doo forum members of coarse. Lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
And here's what it looks like in Stratton about 15 minutes ago. Raining like hell. windy. What little snow there was is quickly going. 011016.jpg I was out yesterday for a little bit. Not a lot of fun. A little snow forecast for this Wednesday, not enough to improve conditions, it seems.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Raining and blowing like crazy here along the Airline. Just lost power 10 minutes ago, so will check the Emera page for estimate of outage time and go fire up the genny if it's gonna be a while in the dark. Wasn't looking good for the Packers....but want to finish watching the game anyway.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Raining and blowing like crazy here along the Airline. Just lost power 10 minutes ago, so will check the Emera page for estimate of outage time and go fire up the genny if it's gonna be a while in the dark. Wasn't looking good for the Packers....but want to finish watching the game anyway.
You need us to install an automatic generator!!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
You need us to install an automatic generator!!!
Nah....I prefer to decide when it fires up, make sure everything is OK, no leaks and voltage and HZ is good before I power up the house. Just went out and started it up on a pull and a half. The electric company says power will be back on early morning. I sure wouldn't want to have be in a bucket truck tonight...those guys earn their paychecks for sure.

I'll run the genny for a while, heat up the house a little and go to bed early....no big deal, my beer ain't gonna' get warm.

45 degrees outside, so no pipes will freeze and I won't get frostbite in the bunk.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts