Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
91 Plus, 93 Mach 1 and 97 Mach Z.
2,178 Posts
I would be very surprised if SPI themselves manufacture shock absorbers. My best guess would be that they buy them from some low cost supplier in China or South East Asia.

Can you use the fact that they are marketed as "rebuildable"...? Is there a spare parts catalog containing seals, piston rings and other spare parts...?

· Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I’m probably better off buying used ski-doo shocks and having them rebuilt. I was just curious. I didn’t even know SPI sold shocks until I started looking around a bit.

· Registered
644 Posts
I would be very surprised if SPI themselves manufacture shock absorbers. My best guess would be that they buy them from some low cost supplier in China or South East Asia.

Can you use the fact that they are marketed as "rebuildable"...? Is there a spare parts catalog containing seals, piston rings and other spare parts...?
Whose to say they're not built by KYB and sold as an SPI brand

They may very well use crustier oil and bushings, pistons and shims, it also may be the tubes that don't pass regular quality assurance inspection. Low tear parts by a manufacture that doesn't want to put their name on it

· Registered
644 Posts
No chance. KYB is a reputable Japanese brand. They have zero interest in feeding the market with cheap products or parts that did not pass their quality control.
why not, every manufacture has a lower cost line, no matter how reputable, theres a market for lower cost why give it to someone else when you can be making some money in it

· Registered
1,069 Posts
why not, every manufacture has a lower cost line, no matter how reputable, theres a market for lower cost why give it to someone else when you can be making some money in it
Because people will buy the cheap, it will have a higher failure rate, and the company will have to support it. Plus, they would be competing against their own more expensive shocks. It would dilute the market with garbage that has a higher cost of support. Doesn’t make sense.

· Registered
644 Posts
Because people will buy the cheap, it will have a higher failure rate, and the company will have to support it. Plus, they would be competing against their own more expensive shocks. It would dilute the market with garbage that has a higher cost of support. Doesn’t make sense.
lol it sure does make sense, but alright. lower warranties, off brand name. i see it all the time in the electrical field, higher end brands have lower tier products, lower warranties not as robust for different levels of use

doesn't matter because it was stated above that the SPI shocks are not rebuildable

· Registered
91 Plus, 93 Mach 1 and 97 Mach Z.
2,178 Posts
You are the one that insist "every manufacturer has a low cost line", but you are presenting zero evidence that supports your claim. I have spent the last twenty five years in different positions in the motorcycle shock absorber industry and I have never ever heard of Fox, KYB, Ohlins, Showa or WP (to mention a few reputable manufacturers) having a secondary brand that sell cheaper and lower quality parts.

Why are you so convinced a reputable brand would want to compete with themselves with a product that is doing nothing but risking their reputation...???

· Registered
644 Posts
You are the one that insist "every manufacturer has a low cost line", but you are presenting zero evidence that supports your claim. I have spent the last twenty five years in different positions in the motorcycle shock absorber industry and I have never ever heard of Fox, KYB, Ohlins, Showa or WP (to mention a few reputable manufacturers) having a secondary brand that sell cheaper and lower quality parts.

Why are you so convinced a reputable brand would want to compete with themselves with a product that is doing nothing but risking their reputation...???
i'm not i said from the beginning could it just be there product, and others are claiming its blasphemy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts