Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Random question..

This is something that has been bugging me since I built my little fan cooled mod sled. Liquid cooled sled's use snow to cool them which means they use up the trail to cool snowmobile would we have better trails with more snow on them if we all rode fan-cooled sleds?

Something to think about.

Reactions: Daag44

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Id say no the only hazards thoe is when the sled leaks coolant on the trail.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm more thinking about the melting of the snow from a liquid sled vs a fanner.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I understand the thinking on this. But I'd say more snow is blown off the trail by sleds than what is melted on a heat exchanger. Yes a liquid cooled sled will be responsible for more lost snow. I'm sure it's immeasurable.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Random question..

This is something that has been bugging me since I built my little fan cooled mod sled. Liquid cooled sled's use snow to cool them which means they use up the trail to cool snowmobile would we have better trails with more snow on them if we all rode fan-cooled sleds?

Something to think about.
Maybe

·
Registered
490 Posts
IMO two factors that do great trail damage

first is the fact that liquid cooled sleds today have so much more power than the fanner sleds of yesteryear

secondly is that when you use so much power you inevitably end up with track spin which greatly degrades the trails

my .02

cheers

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
73,726 Posts
It depends on what kinda can, oil an carbides they are running.... and maybe even what grade gas or if they run stabilizer in them over the summer.....

Otherwise I'd have to say no... liquid cooled sleds are not wrecking the trails....

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I see your thinking, but if snow conditions are that sparse and temps so high that you are worrying about melting the snow, you have those problems more than the sleds. The sleds(hp and tracks) and the way people drive, as well as the amount of traffic will affect trails a lot more. A beautifully groomed trail can be destroyed by one rider that likes to spin a big rut ( and resulting hump) every time they take off. It doesn't take a huge hp sled to rip things up - more the driver.

In theory, you have a point that makes sense but there is nothing that can be done as liquids have dominated since the eighties, not going back now. Unless they went to a rad and fan setup instead of heat exchangers.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
my input is that long travel suspensions have become the bigger culprit.... my .02....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Nope, know way, what you been smoking my man? Trails go bad from lack of snow, warm temps, excessive traffic. No way a liquid sled damages trails more than a fan cooled.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts