Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
321 - 340 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cat definitely has people talking about them. I don’t know that this sled is a game changer, but for them and the faithful, it’s something new. I don’t know that it’s anymore different then a g4 to a g5 concept where outside looking in, it just looks like skinnier panels in the end to me. A bit surprised how delayed the purchase plan is though, whereas like Doo and Poo seem to drop the latest and greatest late in the season for next season availability. So a bit of a head scratcher there especially with it being a 600 that they currently have. In the end, at least there is some sign of a fight left to them which is good, unlike Yamaha that’s just disappearing. I never expected the day to come where 4 manufacturers would be down to 2 or 3. I’m curious how those of you felt in the early years when you had so many brands to pick from and then as they started closing the doors on them to the 4 we see now, was that a similar feeling or just another day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For Cat, it's not an issue to release sleds at this time of year since you can't just go to the dealer and buy one. All of them are pre-order only, and even their website shows all current models are "sold out." So the next sled that you can buy from a dealer will be a 2024 model, of which, the Catalyst chassis will be one of them.

I do remember as a kid one of my friends had a Chaparral, and he was the fastest of all of us in our group of sleds. I remember wanting one of those so bad, then I found out that they stopped making sleds, and completely bummed me out. I remember when Redline was showing off their sleds, and I though how cool it looked and hot cool it would be to have another manufacturer joining the 4. And then again, I was disappointed when it never really happened. Who knows, maybe one of the new e-sled manufacturers will end up shaking up the industry entirely, or maybe they'll end up like Redline.

·
Super Moderator
31,976 Posts
For Cat, it's not an issue to release sleds at this time of year since you can't just go to the dealer and buy one. All of them are pre-order only, and even their website shows all current models are "sold out." So the next sled that you can buy from a dealer will be a 2024 model, of which, the Catalyst chassis will be one of them.

I do remember as a kid one of my friends had a Chaparral, and he was the fastest of all of us in our group of sleds. I remember wanting one of those so bad, then I found out that they stopped making sleds, and completely bummed me out. I remember when Redline was showing off their sleds, and I though how cool it looked and hot cool it would be to have another manufacturer joining the 4. And then again, I was disappointed when it never really happened. Who knows, maybe one of the new e-sled manufacturers will end up shaking up the industry entirely, or maybe they'll end up like Redline.
I was 100% going to buy a Redline - unfortunately as we all know they never really made it to market.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
If anyone was at haydays, or saw pics and vid’s from it. It was clear the people don’t want to see cat fail. That crowd was absolutely insane!
The crowd was nuts, was my first time there after trying to go for over 20 years. Right after the presentation I wound up right next to Roger Skime. I was going to say a few things to him, but he took off . I was hoping for a big game changer, but was somewhat disappointed. My feet hurt Sunday from walking so much Saturday!

·
Registered
2022 MXZ XRS 600R
1,228 Posts
I was 100% going to buy a Redline - unfortunately as we all know they never really made it to market.
Turned out for the best. It looked cool but was actually not a very good snowmobile from the first hand reviews I’ve read. It weighed a ton a ton, had a massive turning radius, and the rear suspension didn’t really work.

Reactions: MX-Z Man

·
Registered
2019 900T Adrenaline 2018 Sidewinder RTX
111 Posts
I thought the release was a disappointment. I'm not brand loyal. We have a great Cat dealer locally here, so I wouldn't be opposed to buying one.

What is disappointing to me, is there are no specs available. It wasn't a full release.

It looks like the Procross and the Blast had a child. I don't see much appeal, unless there is something game changing going on under the hood.

·
Registered
2022 MXZ XRS 600R
1,228 Posts
Turned out for the best. It looked cool but was actually not a very good snowmobile from the first hand reviews I’ve read. It weighed a ton a ton, had a massive turning radius, and the rear suspension didn’t really work.
The Project Redline thread on HCS is a really good read if anyone is curious. It details an owners experience of taking one of the prototype sleds and correcting all the problems to make it rideable.

Reactions: MX-Z Man

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
What is disappointing to me, is there are no specs available. It wasn't a full release.
That because the design is not done yet and the specifications have not been nailed down.

Basically, Arctic Cat cannot afford to loose any more of their dwindling customer base to Polarisk and Ski-Doo, so they had to show that the public THAT THEY ARE WORKING ON SOMETHING, ready or not. So they showed the public a prototype and hope that they will wait another year and half for a 600.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That because the design is not done yet and the specifications have not been nailed down.

Basically, Arctic Cat cannot afford to loose any more of their dwindling customer base to Polarisk and Ski-Doo so they had to show that the public THAT THEY ARE WORKING ON SOMETHING, ready or not. So they showed the public a prototype and hope that will wait a year and half for a 600.
"PolaRISK", dude, you're killing me!! :ROFLMAO:
ROTFLMAO

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The average “age” (not mentality) of Cat’s engineers (these days) is approx 26 yrs of age.

The “mentality” of said avg 26’er is approx 20 yrs of age (based on who there I have had past conversations with), and they aren’t remotely close (IMO) to being truly “engineers”.

When Cat (Textron) sent their aged and proven engineers packing in the recent times, they made their own bed. These idiots they now have are kind of like a Christmas tree light set (minus all the bulbs). (Just an observation over the years)
Yup, thats why it's a kids sled. No wind protection or storage and made to be ridden standing up for 2 hours then hit the pub.

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Yup, thats why it's a kids sled. No wind protection or storage and made to be ridden standing up for 2 hours then hit the pub.
People made similar comments when the original XP came out. The very next year there was a GSX version with a med w/s, mirrors, & a tunnel bag all standard. And how much wind protection or storage came standard on the 22 XRS? There was no w/s & a glove box...These days those items are accessories / more $$ for the OEMs. I wouldn't judge the sled by that stuff.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I saw the Catalyst in person yesterday at the Big East Show and it is a sharp looking sled. The fit and finish seems EXCELLENT for a "prototype". I really like the 2-3 piece running boards with the composite footwells; it seems like a lot tunnel repairs would be rather affordable and easy with this set-up. I hope this model is a huge success for Arctic Cat.
Wheel Tire Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Green Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
It is a good looking sled except for the tiny front bumper. Off trail, that is useless when you and your buddies need to get it unstuck.
My photos above are of a "trail" model. I am sure Cat will have better bumpers more suited to boondocking, on other models, like they do on the ProCross.

321 - 340 of 350 Posts