Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
281 - 300 of 350 Posts

Registered
^^ And the patents would have been submitted long before production started. The original patents were Ficht I believe.

BRP will have 25+ years more experience at DI than anybody else but that will definitely be an interesting day when those patents expire.
No
yamaha hpdi.... if they had the will they could put out any engine they want and it would most likely be better than the etec counterpart or at least the equivalent.....Kawasaki also got a patent for a valved di 2 stroke that could be use as a generator for an electric bike....and thats all we know behind the scene many cie are stilll workin on 2 stroke application = all of them with the DI in mind as necessary...

On Thin Ice with Steve
There was no sarcasm, you are so consumed with "Doo is best, everything else sucks", that it has rotted your brain.

Reading comprehension? From the guy that doesn't know the difference between a twin spar and procross.

New footage of cat engineers testing running board strength

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
^^ And the patents would have been submitted long before production started. The original patents were Ficht I believe.

BRP will have 25+ years more experience at DI than anybody else but that will definitely be an interesting day when those patents expire.
I thought the patents were only good for 10 years? Doo had RAVE valves in 89 I believe and then Poo did it about 10 years later.

Super Moderator
Reading comprehension? From the guy that doesn't know the difference between a twin spar and procross.
I asked a question, that has nothing to do with reading comprehension.

Might be time to brush up on basic English.

Registered
I thought the patents were only good for 10 years? Doo had RAVE valves in 89 I believe and then Poo did it about 10 years later.
Yamaha patented what's considered the first exhaust power valve in 1977 for its racing dirt bikes. By 1985, the technology appeared on a Rotax-powered race snowmobile that competed in the Eagle River World Championship Derby.

Registered
2020 Enduro 900NA, 2022 Enduro 900NA, 2016 Adrenaline 800
No
yamaha hpdi.... if they had the will they could put out any engine they want and it would most likely be better than the etec counterpart or at least the equivalent.....Kawasaki also got a patent for a valved di 2 stroke that could be use as a generator for an electric bike....and thats all we know behind the scene many cie are stilll workin on 2 stroke application = all of them with the DI in mind as necessary...
I see what you mean, there is other 2-stroke DI technology out there.

But where is it? In a dusty old box in a storage room.

Typically if companies have leading technology that works, with patents in place, they work hard to maximize their protected time to make the most of it and get as far ahead as they can before patents expire.

Exactly like 'doo has done with DI in snowmobiles.

If the Yamaha DI technology was so great, they'd be using it. I haven't seen an HDPI Yamaha outboard in years.

Registered
2024 Ski-Doo Renegade X-RS 900 ACE Turbo RR REV Gen5 (wide-design) with Competition Package
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
No

^This is the elephant in the room - where does Yamaha fit into this equation and is Yamaha involved in the development of the Catalyst platform? Yamaha and Cat could - I say could, not that they are or will - develop something that is really great. Yamaha can and has built some great motors and I still think their QDR (non-Yamacat stuff) is better than BRPs. IMO, BRP has gotten pretty sloppy with a lot of stuff, at least all their Mexican made stuff.

I get this is dooTalk and I get that Cat and YamaCat are way behind Ski-Doo and Polaris, but I am excited about this new Catalyst Platform. I really hope they over-deliver on this thing (although I am skeptical based on the state of Arctic Cat).

Super Moderator
^This is the elephant in the room - where does Yamaha fit into this equation and is Yamaha involved in the development of the Catalyst platform? Yamaha and Cat could - I say could, not that they are or will - develop something that is really great. Yamaha can and has built some great motors and I still think their QDR (non-Yamacat stuff) is better than BRPs. IMO, BRP has gotten pretty sloppy with a lot of stuff, at least all their Mexican made stuff.

I get this is dooTalk and I get that Cat and YamaCat are way behind Ski-Doo and Polaris, but I am excited about this new Catalyst Platform. I really hope they over-deliver on this thing (although I am skeptical based on the state of Arctic Cat).
Great points and I agree.

Super Moderator
If cat and Yamaha want, together they could make killer sleds.

If they committed to it both could do it alone as well, they just need a $$$ commitment from their Mother Ships.

Registered
And, until a 4-stroke can fire backwards, consider the Catalyst 2-stroke only. Theyre not going to try incorporating any type of reverse gear mechanism into the belt drive (which is std across the board from here on out)

Registered
2020 Enduro 900NA, 2022 Enduro 900NA, 2016 Adrenaline 800
The latest edition of SnowTech has a good article on the Polaris Prostar S4. Favourable write-up.

One very interesting line that pertains to Cat - they claim they've heard unconfirmed reports of Yamaha 4-strokes being installed into prototype Polaris sleds.

That possibility has definitely been mentioned on dooTalk before but that's the first time I've seen it in print.

281 - 300 of 350 Posts