Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Summit 550F

I am new to owning a REV chassis and I have a bunch of questions that maybe you can answer if you own a Summit 550F?

1. Is the center shock/spring adjustable?

2. Have you had problems with the gas gauge? Mine is stuck. Does it come apart to clean it?

3. Have you replaced body/hood straps? Do you have pics of how you did it? The bottom straps by the foot boards look like a PITA!

The head of the rivet is behind the tunnel. Stupid design. I'm used to the pre-REV style-right in front easy to change.

4. Anybody add a tach?

5. Looking for front shock upgrades. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The gas gauge is a very common problem. Do a search and you will find a bunch of threads on how to fix basically you need to pull it out of the tank and file a little bit off the end of the rod that the float sits around

As far as your shock spring need pictures of your setup. Did the sled come with an owners manual? If no did you pull the seat off and look underneath the bottom of the foam?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the manual online. Those manuals cover multiple sleds and I can't tell if my particular sled suspension has an adjustable center shock. What am I looking for under the seat foam?

Any idea how the gas gauge comes out? Just curious if it's a pain to get out.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I got the manual online. Those manuals cover multiple sleds and I can't tell if my particular sled suspension has an adjustable center shock. What am I looking for under the seat foam?
Any idea how the gas gauge comes out? Just curious if it's a pain to get out.
If it's the bubble gauge above the seat on the tank use a couple flat bladed screw drivers and pry the rubber grommet out whole thing comes out in one piece.
The owners manual on some of the sleds are located on the bottom side of the seat a little area is cut out for it if you take the seat off it will be obvious if it's there

·
Registered
503 Posts
Here's the (excellent) instructions on fixing your fuel gauge.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/182706-sticking-fuel-gauge-fix/

I'm pretty sure your center shock is adjustable, but there's a good chance it needs replacing if its original. Start with Ian at Monster Performance for upgrades and replacements.

I can't remember how I replaced the hood strap but I remember thinking it was a silly set up. I think I just drilled out the rivet and put in the replacement from the other side.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link. That explains the gauge fix!

I will have to get pics of center shock. I don't see a way to adjust.

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
For the lower hood straps, I just grind the rivet head into a D shape and install from the outside.
Yes you can add a tach, and I'm sure any rev tach will do. On our '05 550, I used one from an '06 600 SDI, and the wiring pigtail from an old 800 Powertek harness. Four of the wires from the tach go directly to the speedo, the power and ground I just hooked into the connector for an electric fuel gauge that was not being used.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Rev gas guage suck even new or fixed,,just watch the odometer and get gas before 100mi

Straps,,You need 5/8in long 3/16in rivots,,the lower ones are easy compared to the top which you have to remove the console to drill them out

I used a dremal mini cutoff wheel for the lower rivots/cut off from outside and punched thru,,and installed from the outside kinda easy

The best thing I did to my 550 was get rid of the black shocks,,I put my 03 sport rev rebuildables in it,,huge difference in handling=fun subsonic sled

·
stuck...
2,867 Posts
This is all stuff that has answers in great detail if you do a google search of whatever question and dootalk somewhere in there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info

So the rivet for the lower strap has the head on the outside(toward running board) against the bracket? I'm sure Ski Doo could come up with a better design for this.

That strap looks wedged behind that bracket!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You can use a chisel to cut the rivet. Slide a nice sharp chisel under the strap right next to to tunnel and give it a couple of whacks...be sure and aim forward so as to not gouge the tunnel where you can see it. After you snap the rivet in half, pry the aluminum strap holding the door strap in place up a bit allowing you to install the new rubber strap under it then tap it back into place and install a rivet long enough to reach through the tunnel.

The plug in for the tach is already there...just remove the cover plate (carefull with those little tabs on the ring) and plug the tach in.

Can't adjust the stock center shock.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I replaced my bottom panel straps a few years, I just used bolts. Of course I used lock nuts on there as well. Makes it easier to replace if they break off again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Obviously you are able to get to the bolt up in the tunnel? I felt up in there but didn't check real close. How did you pry that strap out?

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Once the rivot is removed it pulls out,,and I bent the tab a little to get the new one in,,friends sled

Rivot is easy with air rivot gun,,boom done,,no reaching inside tunnel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts