Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 MXZ 800, Standard, Liquid cooled. 3800 miles

Ok my 2001 MXZ 800 was not sparking i tested the stator it was weak soo i bought a new one 300 bucks later I had a friend plug my MPEM into his sled and it ran so im good there but, today i pulled the old stator out what a bi*** it was i found when i removed it that it was covered in a dark greasy substance that looks like it has oozed out of the engine so i looked closer and the area between the case and the crankshaft where it looks like a seal should be, is covered in this grease where could this come from? does this mean i have a bad crank seal or somthing is going? also is this a problem perhaps why my stator is bad?, because the bottom of it is coverd with it and the flywheel magnets are coated too. any sugestions thoughts anything will help please.

Also if anyone has the sevice manual that covers this sled if you have Any instructions for stator removal/ instilation and torq specs for the bolts on the flywheel and the large nut on the crankshaft. Also installation tips would be great!
[email protected]

·
Registered
302 Posts

welcome to the 800 with a bad seal club. i just became VIP member

anyway, joking aside.

theres only one place for grease and oil to come out of in large amounts.....you guessed it; the bottom end of your cylinder. yes you have a bad crank seal. My sled just had a bad one on the clutch side, it was spitting grease down the clutch shaft, and on the belt guard.

you may be sucking air through the seal as well. you are best to rebuild/fix it before you blow it up. yes, unfortunately this means, pull your engine, and split the case. I have a manual cd i can look at sending you some info (pm me tomorrow as a reminder).

I will give you more tips there too and answer any questiosn since i just went through this procedure last week.
for now order your mag seal (possibly you may want to change the pto one while your at it. you will need a clutch puller, holder and alignment bar so see if you can get yoru hands on those or order them.

the seals are easy to replace.

getting the engine out is fairly easy. you have to drain your coolant thogh into a jug for the time being. if you can prop up the front of your sled a few feet its probably good cause it will keep more coolant in your heat exchangers.

when you put it back together.
remember to bleed the oil pump (main and small lines)
when you seal the case: don't pinch your trigger coil wire.
I have the torque sequence if you need as well.

pm me for more info.....

sorry about the bad luck....looks like your doing as good as i am.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts