Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

· Registered
2004 mxz 800HO, 2023 Skandic SWT 900ACE, 1994 Yamaha Bravo
51 Posts
Yeah wow, that would be super annoying. Our Neo+ doesn't do that. I heard 2 little pops one time as the engine came down to idle, but I'd be pretty unhappy if it was making that kinda noise all the time.

Curious what's making some of them do it. Fuel is the only thing that should be different between machines. I'm running ethanol free 87. For the machines that are knocking, what fuel are you running? Higher octane prevents detonation on my performance sleds, I mix 100LL avgas with premium for my RMK 800. I wonder if that would help these?
Once I get past the break in cycle on my 900 ace, I’ll start mixing it 1/4 to 1/3 100 octane avgas, that stuff keeps way better than regular gas.

At least that’s the plan for the snowmobile to share the tank with the airplane.

· Registered
221 Posts
The more miles my son puts on his the worse it gets. When it was new it would be maybe a 3-5 sec racket then smooth out. Now it takes like 10 seconds to clean out when stopping on trail. Also noticing it has a hard time starting warm, and once it fires it struggles to idle for a couple seconds with good bit of smoke. Twice last weekend it failed to start, just cranked. Needed a second attempt to get going. All this is at 3-4 bars on temp gauge.
All normal as per BRP....been back to dealer twice.

· Registered
2004 mxz 800HO, 2023 Skandic SWT 900ACE, 1994 Yamaha Bravo
51 Posts
Polaris kept theirs
I don’t know about the Polaris machine, wether it carbureted, injected etc. no idea, I do know I’ve seen a local outfit with 6 of them and 2 have burned up the motors-light use on groomed trails

I don’t know the particulars about the failures other than they now sit as part’s machines. If they are a good unit they seem to keep working, if not they melt down lol.

I steer away from that brand for other reasons. Except for the 440 Fuji powered models. I wouldn’t mind having one of those.

· Registered
71 Posts
brought home new Neo, brought back to dealer 2 days later - with excessive smoke & lower knocking --- can't determine if it's motor or clutch; gets worse as it warms up. sounds like ball bearings in the cylinder; rpm's rise & fall between 1500-1900, not steady. manual is crap; info is crap... states clutch engagement at 3200, actually it's at 2200.

has anyone else had any issues? very disappointed BRP
Neighbour received his Neo+ yesterday and I helped bring it home for him with my enclosed trailer.
He noticed some loud knocking after only one lap around his yard. Dealer suggested we bring it back for a tech check-up. Tech determined it was crankshaft noises and dealer is taking the machine back.
Hopefully for him they can work out a deal on a different machine they have in stock.

· Registered
3,631 Posts
Neighbour received his Neo+ yesterday and I helped bring it home for him with my enclosed trailer.
He noticed some loud knocking after only one lap around his yard. Dealer suggested we bring it back for a tech check-up. Tech determined it was crankshaft noises and dealer is taking the machine back.
Hopefully for him they can work out a deal on a different machine they have in stock.
Doubtful it’s anything like that, there is a bulletin on it that it is by design. They detuned it through the pipe and if you saw the pipe you would understand, there is no expansion chamber.

FYI

Per BRP -

Engine noise can be expected as the RPM's are going down to idle and are normally observed just below 2000rpm.
Why: NEO & NEO+ and its unique design, is controlling idle speed by affecting ignition timing in order to maintain idle RPM @ 1600 +/-200.
When idle speed gets higher than the target, it is creating a noisy combustion sound to reach the target rapidly.

· Registered
71 Posts
Doubtful it’s anything like that, there is a bulletin on it that it is by design. They detuned it through the pipe and if you saw the pipe you would understand, there is no expansion chamber.

FYI

Per BRP -

Engine noise can be expected as the RPM's are going down to idle and are normally observed just below 2000rpm.
Why: NEO & NEO+ and its unique design, is controlling idle speed by affecting ignition timing in order to maintain idle RPM @ 1600 +/-200.
When idle speed gets higher than the target, it is creating a noisy combustion sound to reach the target rapidly.
I can only relate what the dealer is telling us, since he was in possession of the sled for about 20 minutes and .1 mile!

Final report from the dealer came in today after they had more time to inspect it. Crankshaft issues and a stripped chaincase. Dealer is taking the sled back. I really have no idea how this gets through PDI before a delivery.

· Registered
3,631 Posts
I can only relate what the dealer is telling us, since he was in possession of the sled for about 20 minutes and .1 mile!

Final report from the dealer came in today after they had more time to inspect it. Crankshaft issues and a stripped chaincase. Dealer is taking the sled back. I really have no idea how this gets through PDI before a delivery.
Only way it could be a “final report” is if they pulled the engine and diagnosed it. I guess that’s concerning that the lower end failed on it. What’s a “stripped chain case”? One of the bolts that attaches the cover stripped?

· Registered
71 Posts
Only way it could be a “final report” is if they pulled the engine and diagnosed it. I guess that’s concerning that the lower end failed on it. What’s a “stripped chain case”? One of the bolts that attaches the cover stripped?
Dealers word were 'stripped chaincase', when I asked, they said the chain was skipping on the gears inside the chaincase and they could not fix it by adjusting chain tension.

I would love to get my hands on the machine to make those verifications myself, but the dealer will not release the machine and are working on a deal for another sled as we speak.

· Registered
3,631 Posts
Dealers word were 'stripped chaincase', when I asked, they said the chain was skipping on the gears inside the chaincase and they could not fix it by adjusting chain tension.

I would love to get my hands on the machine to make those verifications myself, but the dealer will not release the machine and are working on a deal for another sled as we speak.
Weird. Do you consider them a good dealer? Nothing appears unique about the chain case.

keep us posted!

· Registered
71 Posts
Weird. Do you consider them a good dealer? Nothing appears unique about the chain case.

keep us posted!
I do not think I will get anymore info about this brand new Neo+. Dealer is pushing hard to replace it with another floor model, but most are 2022 demo's. Almost trying to bury what happened here. I could see the chaincase issue being a mistake during PDI (breaking the tightener) but crankshaft (if it is indeed that) is all on BRP and their supplier.

I have bought a few machines and equipment there, from ATV's, Snowmobiles, Plows and always get good service, but I never get any work done anywhere! I much prefer to do it myself.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts