Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Got my sled back from the dealer,

Same thing as before. While running at idle and just above idle it sounds like a bag of ball bearings rattling around in the engine. Just junk. Not a chance I could ever sell that to anyone. It sounds like the engine is ready to pile up. It makes me sick listening to it. Got heckled all day by everyone of the guys who were riding with me and my kid. At this point its known to me as the piece of ****. 30 miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
Harley never made a snowmobile but AMF made Harleys and also sold dam near everything else, ours had a JLO under the hood.
Yes..... I know that. The AMF logo was barley visible but the HARLEY-DAVIDSON name stuck out so I always called it a Harley. Mine had the Aermacchi engine. I was able to find a new crate motor still in the box with the labeling on it that said "Made in Italy" to keep as a spare and sold it with the sled.

Sorry.... to go off-topic....... back to the OP's post.

Rectangle Font Circle Art Number

Vehicle Automotive design Toy Electric blue Recreation

· Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
Picked mine up today. Sounds fine

Got my sled back from the dealer,

Same thing as before. While running at idle and just above idle it sounds like a bag of ball bearings rattling around in the engine. Just junk. Not a chance I could ever sell that to anyone. It sounds like the engine is ready to pile up. It makes me sick listening to it. Got heckled all day by everyone of the guys who were riding with me and my kid. At this point its known to me as the piece of ****. 30 miles on it.

Can you guys post video with the sound of your motors for comparison purposes?

· Registered
848 Posts
Yes..... I know that. The AMF logo was barley visible but the HARLEY-DAVIDSON name stuck out so I always called it a Harley. Mine had the Aermacchi engine. I was able to find a new crate motor still in the box with the labeling on it that said "Made in Italy" to keep as a spare and sold it with the sled.

Sorry.... to go off-topic....... back to the OP's post.

View attachment 2016056

View attachment 2016054
My father sold them and we took the ski-daddler's to Canada in 72. Right up with a Suzuki/Cat or Snow Jet/Kawasaki, the 70's were a cool time to have sleds.

· Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
Here

Have you gotten down close to see of you can hear where the sound is coming from exactly? I know that isn’t always easy to determine. Almost sounds like something rattling around in the clutch. Seems to come and go a bit.

If it was a bearing I’d think it would be constant…. and being that loud the engine wouldn’t hold together very long.

If it were me, I would probably pull the clutch and then start it to see what it sounds like.

· Registered
33 Posts
Official word:
  • Engine noise can be expected as the RPM's are going down to idle and are normally observed just below 2000rpm.
  • Why: NEO & NEO+ and its unique design, is controlling idle speed by affecting ignition timing in order to maintain idle RPM @ 1600 +/-200.
  • When idle speed gets higher than the target, it is creating a noisy combustion sound to reach the target rapidly.

· Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
It’s in the engine. Lean condition. / timing Causing detonation Brp says that’s normal for this machine apearently. I think it’s a rediculous response.

That just seems crazy that they would be running the fuel and / or timing that it would routinely cause detonation.

What fuel do they recommend? I assume 87 / regular. Have you tried 91 / 93 just to see if there is a difference.

· Registered
24 Posts
Yeah wow, that would be super annoying. Our Neo+ doesn't do that. I heard 2 little pops one time as the engine came down to idle, but I'd be pretty unhappy if it was making that kinda noise all the time.

Curious what's making some of them do it. Fuel is the only thing that should be different between machines. I'm running ethanol free 87. For the machines that are knocking, what fuel are you running? Higher octane prevents detonation on my performance sleds, I mix 100LL avgas with premium for my RMK 800. I wonder if that would help these?

· Banned
3,437 Posts
from an outsiders perspective ( i was looking at neo's) the reasoning sounds plausible. It probably has a lean idle and we know how lean idle's like to race up and don't want to settle down. the engine needs a way to control the idle speed. it's not like you can blip the choke for a second like the old days. It does sound rowdy the split second you let off like it's trying to reduce rpm. But it doesn't sound like it's popping on aceleration or heavy load. that's when it would be real bad. i'm sure the epa doesn't want them dumping in extra fuel, but it sounds like that would help.

brp obviously knows timing, look what they did with timing for RER. also cool technology like the stutter button or hot start button on race sleds. not to mention more common pulling of timing for preignition or hot engine temps. I guess we should just be happy the sleds don't have stop/start like vehicles.

ironically a lean missing, or off timed engine has lots of hydrocarbons.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts