Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
From my dealer, I’m a bit at a loss for what the hell to think.

Good morning, just wanted to let you know that at this point and time BRP has deemed the noise that you are hearing is not going to cause any damage to the machine and is normal for the NEO's to make. I would maybe suggest picking up the sleds so that you have them to use at your will and enjoy. If the noise starts to become worse or any warning lights come on feel free to bring the machine back so that we can look into is and or update the case with more information. I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear at this time. Let me know if you have any other questions, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep that email. You know the issue is documented.
Pick up your sled and enjoy.

· Registered
24 Posts
The NEO+ we picked up last week had a kinda rough sounding idle at first. Wouldn't call it a knocking sound by any means, more rough and rattling . After a few starts and warmup cycles, it smoothed out and sounds great. I chalked it up to the ECM learning parameters.

I say keep the email and ride em! If its something serious you'll get a new engine for free. I'd see how many miles you can put on it in a year...

· Registered
3,632 Posts
The problem with the “just run it” advice is that these only have a one year warranty. What if this is a lean condition and it causing damage that doesn’t surface until day next season, that would be unfortunate.
There is a girl on Facebook that said her dealer removed her “exhaust resonator” and it mostly cured the issue.

· Registered
3 Posts
Brp was trying to get my dealer to remove the exhaust and modify it, as a test. But then wanted them to put it back to stock after the test. Which begs the question, shouldn't that have been tested before production? Also, there seems to be a bulletin for a reflash for the 55 horse motors, not the 40 yet. I don't care what bro says, that is not a normal noise, on any engine ever. This will lead to failures. It's a shame because it's such a great little sled.

· Registered
3,180 Posts
The problem with the “just run it” advice is that these only have a one year warranty. What if this is a lean condition and it causing damage that doesn’t surface until day next season, that would be unfortunate.
There is a girl on Facebook that said her dealer removed her “exhaust resonator” and it mostly cured the issue.
I'm pretty sure the damage from a lean condition (if it is) will appear sooner rather than later...

· Super Moderator
4,229 Posts
Official word:
  • Engine noise can be expected as the RPM's are going down to idle and are normally observed just below 2000rpm.
  • Why: NEO & NEO+ and its unique design, is controlling idle speed by affecting ignition timing in order to maintain idle RPM @ 1600 +/-200.
  • When idle speed gets higher than the target, it is creating a noisy combustion sound to reach the target rapidly.

· Registered
28 Posts
The official claim is an idle down ignition timing which is a strange reasoning for something far less than a modified racing sled. However since the 600 efi uses 850 e-tec throttle bodies it may need to jump protocols. Still seems strange to go this route. There was never a shortage of 600 class throttle bodies and having the need for dual programming is a more costly workaround. Seems like a rushed decision to me.

· Registered
3,180 Posts
Official word:
  • Engine noise can be expected as the RPM's are going down to idle and are normally observed just below 2000rpm.
  • Why: NEO & NEO+ and its unique design, is controlling idle speed by affecting ignition timing in order to maintain idle RPM @ 1600 +/-200.
  • When idle speed gets higher than the target, it is creating a noisy combustion sound to reach the target rapidly.
The official claim is an idle down ignition timing which is a strange reasoning for something far less than a modified racing sled. However since the 600 efi uses 850 e-tec throttle bodies it may need to jump protocols. Still seems strange to go this route. There was never a shortage of 600 class throttle bodies and having the need for dual programming is a more costly workaround. Seems like a rushed decision to me.
On any other EFI sled, how do they do this, lessen the fuel mixture? The route they've gone seems strange if it creates a situation that any 2 stroke owner would think the motor is shaking itself to death.

· Registered
28 Posts
I have not have any issues with knocking. 2 sessions driven. (Summit Neo+).
That's not surprising since the issues tend to come up with the N-A sleds. I spoke to a couple others in Scandinavia and no problems either. I got my 85hp model reprogrammed locally to fix the idle rattle. Therefore it is definitely not "working as designed". No engine should rattle like that.
I sent the same question to a friend in Russia, waiting on their answer.

· Super Moderator
4,229 Posts
There is no 85HP Neo that I know of? ;) BRP says the 55 HP reflash is for high end lean, (low end the ones that rattle still rattle). BRP says working as designed and since they designed it I'll go with them on this one. I do suspect there could be possible updates down the road to quiet it down but it could be awhile.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts