Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have been thinking about putting an onboard fuel water seperater like the ones they have on boats on my sled this year and just wondering if anyone has ever done it. I dont see why it wouldnt safe gaurd against a bad fillup but I am no filter guru either. Seems liek its just to easy of an answer to all the meltdowns I hear about due to bad water in fuel. The flow rates are up there however I think size might create a mounting challenge.
I found this one from parker
http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/129...RMAM_Series.pdf
It even has a probe that will sense the water and could activate a light.
Is a snowmobile motor more sensitive than an outboard for temp reasons?
Anybody try one yet? I think when i get some time i might give them a call and talk with a tech, they dont get to descriptive about the water seperation and how much it will do.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
might be a bit over kill with all of that stuff but a nice seperator would be really nice. Actually i am surprised they don't come with them from the factory it is a pretty good idea. would one like on a car work?. I dont know it they seperate though just filter the gas so it may not. steve

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I don't think it's a bad idea, but it seems a little big to hide under the hood of a sled. At almost 3 1/2" wide, and 6" tall, that would be a chore to mount.

·
Registered
749 Posts
It may not do everything your hoping for. If you look at the literature, it says it removes 99% of FREE water. If the water is mixed with the gas (as can happen with ethanol), it can flow right through. Then, when the sled sits for awhile, the water can separate from the gas. Then you have water in your carbs. I've seen this many times in boats.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I tried a OMC outboard filter on my sled. It will catch some of the water in the fuel filter. It also will freeze up. I now use a can of Isopropyl in EVERY tank of gas my sled gets. If I could of kept the filter warmer it would work better. It screws apart so you can dump the water out of it so i mounted it in a easy to reach place and was to cold and froze up.

·
Registered
466 Posts
we have used RACOR screw on filters for years on some of our snowmachines. they make a small unit that works well. replaceable fuel filter w/bowl drain seperator.
Do you know which model by chance?
I thought of the same thing mxzeatr but it states the temp range is down to -40. Not sure how the heck that would work but that what it says in the manual. I hear you guys on the mounting.
The gas settling in the carbs could be the deal breaker as I could see that happening
Thanks for the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts