Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 1150 miles on my 15 Summit8. Blew a belt at 1000 miles, didn't think anything of it. Blew a belt 60 miles later but I chalked it up to not breaking it in (I went west and had it to the bar pretty much the entire time), and bad luck. Changed it and got about 60 more mountain miles (hard miles) but then blew it back home in Manitoba just running down the trail at moderate speed.

i figure something's up with my clutch. I'm limited in what I can do mechanically but the clutches were cleaned at 500 miles, I can't see any evidence of belt chunks stuck anywhere and when I try to push/pull on the prim/sec they both seem tight with no free play. It hasn't taken any hits that I would consider significant either.

It might be in my head but I think I can feel a vibration through the bars now when I ride it. Has anyone else ever had their clutch run itself out of alignment? That's the only thing I can come up with right now.

My closest dealer is about 250 miles away so it's no easy task to take it in for a check. I think I'm gonna try to run it until the end of March when I'm heading that direction anyway, $h_tty thing is belts up here are $200+ each but the gf and I like going to the ice fishing shack and it's not fun doubling up on the other sled (2010 Nytro in serious need of a shock upgrade).

·
Registered
449 Posts
More than likely the crank was knocked out of alignment when you blew that first belt. The cranks are only pressed together. Take to the dealer and request they check the run out on the crank.

·
Registered
957 Posts
So when u are under power the belt can last for awhile ( mountain riding ) but u are blowing belts when u are flat out running at max speed. Is that a correct summary of your problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not really. It seemed to hold on a bit better when it was being ridden hard (deep climbs pinned to the bar) but still....

blown belt 1 - went after 1000 miles, a mix of trail, mountain, slow, fast, etc.

blown belt 2 - approx. 10 miles trail riding in MB / blew after about 40 miles of pretty hard mountain riding

blown belt 3 - approx. 40 miles pretty hard mountain riding / blew after I brought it back to MB and rode trails very moderately for 10 miles

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got word from the dealer that it was a stuck roller (and a blown pto seal). They said the crank checked out fine but after 3 blown belts I'm skeptical...at least there's still 2 years of warranty left so if the crank does fail it'll b fixed at no cost.

Would a stuck roller and blown seal cause a vibration through the bars? Because there def was a vibration when I took it in and now I've got no snow left so I can't check to see if it's still there until next winter.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
my guess is the blown belt took out the pto seal and belt debris stuck the roller

everytime a belt blows the clutch should come to inspect the pto seal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts