Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out at the lake today doing some testing and after a couple of short blastes I let up off the gas and the sled stalled and kinda chugged to a stop.

I was thinking OHOH.

So I hit the electric starter and the sled moved ahead.
I'm think what the heck????

Here to find the tip broke of and jamed the clutch closed.

Once I took it apart I find the roller end cleaned of 1/2 through the loop where the pin goes through.

I would think that it should be covered under warrenty.

Thats the second one I have seen so far this year.

Just though I would pass this little gem on to everyone else.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
squish band said:
pic please
[snapback]695464[/snapback]​
Sorry squish but my digital camera has gone on vacation with someone else right now.

Basically take where the pin goes through and break the top off one of the loops
so it looks like a u in stead of a O.

If that makes any sence???!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
adrenalator8 said:
Out at the lake today doing some testing and after a couple of short blastes I let up off the gas and the sled stalled and kinda chugged to a stop.

I was thinking OHOH.

Once I took it apart I find the roller end cleaned of 1/2 through the loop where the pin goes through.

[snapback]695456[/snapback]​
When I notice RPM inconsistant last weekend I took my primary apart I found 2 of 3 TRA rollers siezed (would not spin). FYI I have the stock rollers,TRA arms, 17g Pins, pin weight is retained with the stock set screw. So I took it apart found that the "goal post" of the TRA arm has pinched the flat plastic washers & roller so tight it would not spin and grooved sides of the roller. So I lightly filed inside the arm and sides of the rollers to free it up. It ran much better after that. I just hope my arms are not getting ready to break!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I broke one last week due to a cotter pin breaking I believe. The sled was overrevving so I stopped to change the clicker and found the piece laying in the bellypan. Two cotter pins were completely missing when I took the clutch apart. Ordered a new arm from billy howard, he had them in stock where none of my local dealers did. Shipped out and received within 24 hours.

Oh by the way they were stock arms.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rjsmxzx800 said:
adrenalator8 said:

I was thinking OHOH.

[snapback]695456[/snapback]​
When I notice RPM inconsistant last weekend I took my primary apart I found 2 of 3 TRA rollers siezed (would not spin). FYI I have the stock rollers,TRA arms, 17g Pins, pin weight is retained with the stock set screw. So I took it apart found that the "goal post" of the TRA arm has pinched the flat plastic washers & roller so tight it would not spin and grooved sides of the roller. So I lightly filed inside the arm and sides of the rollers to free it up. It ran much better after that. I just hope my arms are not getting ready to break!!
[snapback]695526[/snapback]​
Thanks good info.

rangelec

I know the feeling

·
Registered
143 Posts
Did you use cotter pins Adrenlator ??????

Doug

From a previous post ........... Broke two arms with the cotter pins ..... thank my dealer Heblers in Pendeton NY for getting them warrantied as an arm retails for $95. The solid pins fit alittle loose in my arms and I think the harmonics caused the pins to blow out of the arm. It opened the hole on the arm opposite of the cotter pin hole side. My fix for this was to drill and tap for a 10-24 set screw ..... alittle blue locktite and no problems ... also drilled alittle taper in the pin for the set screw to seat on. Beats the sh-t out of those expensive little screws brp gave us. I can now use an 1/8" allen to change pins vs. twisting my 2mm allen. Just an idea guys ..... Doug

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Guys,
just wondering....i now have dalton brute arms...do you think these arms being alum vs steel,they will be stronger?..By that i mean is it possible the STEEL stock arms are susceptable to vibrations and harmonic movements as Doug stated?..

Previous to the TRA5 , doo clutches had aluminum arms,and i dont recall so many issues...or is it just the fact this HUGE TWIN is HELL on clutch parts?????

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dooashfalt

I think you have hit it on the head with what you said (harmonics) that a some of what rjsmxzx800said as well as ,I was leaning the same way.
But I did have cotter pins in instead of the boombie set screws.

Machzed,

I don't think there will be problem with the brute arms,my buddie has a set and he has about 2000miles on them and about the same amount of clutch set up LOL

I haven't asked if I will get warrenty on the arm yet but I do still have 3 weeks left on this 05, So I would think it should be !?
My dealer had to order it but I was luck the guy with the brute arms lent me one for the weekend.

·
Ready for flight
2,505 Posts
Well mine broke, I just got back from the UP. First it went into the limp mode then the clutch let loose about 3 hours later, still 36 miles from the truck and trailer. I'm thinking I may go back to Cat or to Yamaha. I bought a new 05 800 Renegade X it the engine let go because of the exhaust manifold bolts came out.( because some idiot at the factory didn't use the right locktite) Now I buy a new 06 Renegade 1000 X and I've been up three times riding and it has never been right. This time the limp mode started at about noon and the clutch let go 3 hours later. JUNK JUNK JUNK that's all I can say. I took it to my dealer and they plug it into the computor to the buds program and guess what, this frickin thing say's it has no faults and it has never been in limp mode. What a joke BRP are you reading this . I would love to meet the nurd that came up with your program, I would treat him like a King (Rodney King) I would beat him like a redheaded freckel face step child. He should be FIRED. He failed the whole engine design team should be let go they SUCK!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.