Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
And...here.....we.....go.......
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've been roped in helping my father with his new project. He's semi-retarded (I mean retired) and he bought another project. In the past he always restored/modified classic muscle cars or custom trucks. Every one was a multiple show trophy winner (shelf is full of "best of show" stuff). So he calls me Sunday to tell me he bought a new heap.

Saw it last night.

1982 Pontiac Trans-Am. It's really not too bad; has a typical "painted it in my garage with a roller" paint job, but it's not rotted or smashed anywhere. The car is 100% complete, most everything works. As expected, the headlights don't go up and down on their own, the cruise control doesn't work. But the power seat, windows, locks all work. The car is black with some gold trim and a two tone black/gold interior.

At first I thought this was possibly a mish-mash garbage car, based on the drivetrain and some of the interior appointments. On the console is a big "S/E" emblem and the car is running a 305 Chevrolet motor with a 4bbl carb and 3 speed auto trans. I figured someone gaffed in the motor because as a Firebird it should have a Pontiac motor. But I did some research; turns out in 82 and 83 the 305 Chevrolet was what was used in the T/A with the more basic model being a 305 4bbl and the upgrade option being a 305 Crossfire Injected model. The 3 speed trans was standard in 82.

So I did some research on the VIN#. Turns out the VIN confirms it is indeed an 82 Pontiac Trans-Am, not a Firebird or an S/E car, is indeed a 305 Chevrolet 4bbl car and not a Crossfire Injection Car, and that it was originally built at the Norwood assembly plant. So it's an actual Trans-Am S/E, and the interior is the optional upgraded interior with the open-headrest racing "PMD" buckets which are unusual.

Oh, BTW.......that 305 4bbl is rated at a whopping 145 HP.

So I need to know, for all you 3rd Gen F-body guys, what would be the best source for parts for this car, and what unique "problems" are common to these 3G cars? I had a 1980 Z-28 years ago, but this car is built very different from mine in almost every way.

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
post some pics, I'd like to see it, before restoration and after. I had an 82 Z28 with the 305 auto way back when. fun car. problem with the hood scoop when it rained hard would flood. not as fun as the 75 vette with t tops tho. was happy when sold both, but wish i had the Z28 back now......

good luck

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hawks Third Gen Parts in South Carolina. The guy who owns it, is named Bruce and you wont find a cooler person to deal with and they sell just about everything for these cars. Website is hawksthirdgenparts.com

·
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had one 20 years ago, talk about a sled. It was a joke for a TA but was a chick magnet in it's day.
I haven't driven it, but based on the HP rating of 145 in a car that weighs probably about 3300 lbs, it's certainly not going to win any races. May not even finish a few.

I'm currently researching how desirable or rare this car may be. I don't think it's a particularly sought-after ride, so with that being said, it may get somewhat "modified". Purists hate when you do that, but hey....sometimes it's fun to be different.

The price was right I guess. In any case, it's bought and paid for and sitting in daddy's garage right now. Just waiting for me to pull the drivetrain and start on that.

What did I get myself into?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I haven't driven it, but based on the HP rating of 145 in a car that weighs probably about 3300 lbs, it's certainly not going to win any races. May not even finish a few.

I'm currently researching how desirable or rare this car may be. I don't think it's a particularly sought-after ride, so with that being said, it may get somewhat "modified". Purists hate when you do that, but hey....sometimes it's fun to be different.

The price was right I guess. In any case, it's bought and paid for and sitting in daddy's garage right now. Just waiting for me to pull the drivetrain and start on that.

What did I get myself into?
Definatelly not a racer but drove and handled nice.beefed up 350 or 400 chevy motor would be nice . Also owned 76,79 Camaros, kinda wish I woulda kept them too. Looks like some more male bonding for you.

·
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. My father is getting along in years and over the last 5 years or so his health has declined. He told me that this will likely be his last project car. So it will be nice to work on it with him.

I wish I still had my 1980 Z-28. My first car and still by far my most favorably remembered.

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
Owned a '69 Firebird with a 400 ram air, 400 turbo trans, chevy 12 bolt with 513 zoom gear..Awesome car

Owned an '82 Trans Am..JUNK!

~Bob

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Pontiac....what a great car a great history.

I've owned a bunch (name history is Poncho) and they are all good. Last Pontiac motor was built in 1981. Not much of a power
house even turboed but it was what it was.

Bobadoo... I currently own a 1969 Ram Air III Firebird. 69,000 original miles, Muncie 4 speed, 400 is on the stand, and a 455 built by Kauffman Racing now sits under the hood. Still have the original numbers matching motor so I figure its a keeper.

CustomRev...Keep in mind that many of the aftermarket that sell 82 and up Camaro parts also sell what you are after.

Good Luck. I think it is awesome that you and your Dad can share this experience. (I lost my Dad in 2002)

·
Sled Builder
9,282 Posts
I've got a 1970 455 Trans Am I am working on.

Jim Butler crank, Eagle rods, TRW pistons, Miloden gear drive, Harland and Sharp roller rockers, Wolverine cam, Rance Fuel Injection system, 1000cfm throttle body, custom made headers, 200R4 transmission with a Level 10, 5 disc lockup torque converter and Jim Hand/Maize ported heads.,

The last real Pontiac motor was the 400 in 1979. They continued with 301 turbos into 1980 but how can you have any performance V8 with siamesed intake ports. The 301turbo was only rated at about 185hp.

That was the death of the 'real' Pontiac Trans Am.

If I ever get caught on projects, the body work and interior is next on the agenda. It needs a cage, mini-tubs, smoothed out body, new paint and a custom fiberglass dash.

My first car was a 70 Trans Am, but it only had a Pontiac 350 in it. I worked for Yogi's, he was in Onslow at the time. My dad always helped me work on it, that is where I first learned how to work on stuff.

I think the memories are going to be good working on it. I just wish he was here to work on it with me. Enjoy the time you have...savor it.

·
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think this will be fun. I bought my 80 Z-28 as a teenager, and him being an auto mechanic turned into driveway camshaft changes, intakes and carbs, motor work, transmission upgrades, shifters, etc....

He taught me how to do the work. All of my stuff was built the old fashioned way....by the owner.

I helped him restore his 72 Chevelle SS which arrived in boxes and on a flatbed, a couple trucks, one of my trucks, modify quite a few bikes, and now comes the Trans-Am.

I'm thinking this car won't go back to stock. Talked to him tonight and it appears the car may be in for a SBC stroker of some type, trans mods, and gearing. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

I will try to get pictures of this heap up at some point when I get down to his house again.

·
Sled Builder
9,282 Posts
My friend has one of these.. Nice car indeed.

Really? Your friend owns the car that is in the picture from Wikopedia for Trans Ams?

Wow! What a coincidence?

·
DooTalk Goldcard Holder
15,875 Posts
Really? Your friend owns the car that is in the picture from Wikopedia for Trans Ams?

Wow! What a coincidence?
He never claimed or inferred that the car was his friends. If you go back and read it again you'll see where he said that his friend "owned one of these" as in one similar to it.

·
Sled Builder
9,282 Posts
He never claimed or inferred that the car was his friends. If you go back and read it again you'll see where he said that his friend "owned one of these" as in one similar to it.
Wow! again. Uptight, much? Chill.....it was just some friendly ribbing. Jeez!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
The 1989 Turbo TA was by far my most favorite post Pontiac powered Firebird. I have owned three of them. They made less than 1,500 them. I owned one with a cloth interior which they only made 187. Another that I sold a couple of years ago had 1,200 original miles on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first car when I was 17 back in 1984 was a Silver 78 Trans Am with the Pontiac 400 and 3 speed with a B&M shift kit. Had the cragar louvers on the back that I added with an Alpine Stereo. Eventually I also added the Western 16 inch 12 spoke aluminum wheels. The car Had 27K miles when I bought it. Also had the Hurst T top's. That car was rated at 200hp and I used to do very well against the Z28's and older vettes from the mid to late 70's as they were all smogged out and even the 305 Tuneport Iroc's of the day. The 350 Irocs would beat me. But I raced grand Nationals, OLDS 442 Cutlass Supreme cars and used to eat up the Monte Carlo SS' of 82 and on. Got into an accident in December of 86 took 6 months to get the car back. Eventually sold it to a local police officer for 5500.00 or $500.00 less then I originally paid for it 4 years earlier. Moved over to a Brand new 88 Mustang GT with a 5 speed and never looked back from Ford Mustangs. Have an 04 Saleen Mustang now but I have always love the Trans Am's of the 70's. Saw Smokey and the Bandit twice in one day when it first came out in 77/78 and never looked back from loving fast cars after that. The New style 82 up and turbo cars did nothing for me. Too big and heavy and under powered. Although I found new respect for the 89 GTA Trans Am that was basically the Grand National in a Trans Am Body. Liked that car a lot.
Sorry for the rant, good luck with the new project and as others have said congrats on going one last time around with your Dad, he won't forget it and neither will you. Peace.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts