Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode the minivan (<-- term for GT Sport 600 ACE) with the guys over the weekend. This sled is fine for trail riding. Not fast and nimble like my Etec-powered sled, but smooth and relaxing. Plenty of power for normal riding.

On a frozen lake, I had to run 50-60 mph for long stretches. Since I was still in the break-in period at ~250 miles, I didn't hold the throttle at one speed more than 15 seconds or so at a time. However, I was near full throttle the whole time due to a mixture of slush, deep snow on the ice at times. RPMs ranged from 6500-7200 for 8 miles/10 minutes.

I was worried I pushed this little motor too hard.

Nothing happened, but just anxious that was too much for it and am looking for reassurance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
No worries you did fine and no harm....I rode mine hard the first day (trying to keep up with a buddy) and 4 years later and 4000 miles she's the fastest of all the 600 aces in the stable.......just ride it like you stole it!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
The 600 and 900 ace run very reliably when boosted up to twice the factory hp. So you pushing 50 or 60 hp for a bit during break in is no big deal at all (50hp is less than half throttle on a 600 etec!)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hundred twenty horsepower and 180 horsepower where's your info to back this one up
To be fair, I have no hard data, and I have no personal experience to back it up, just a bit of reading and testimonials.

http://www.mcxpressturbos.com/skidoo-900ace-snowmobile.html

Could all be hogwash I guess, but you really dont find too many reliability complaints with the 1200 turbo people either. Those guys push that engine pretty hard. Just seems (from what I've heard) that the brp 4stroke lineup is detuned, over built, and safely capable of a lot more power output.

Anyone else want to shoot me down on that assumption?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Now were off topic! Sorry if you misread me here, I cant see how I was a jerk by admitting that I really have nothing but internet research to back up my claim!

Wish you knew me a little better... you'd get a laugh about thinking im a jerk!

Sorry for everything I did that made you feel that way.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
From experiences with my previous sleds I wanted to keep an eye on the temps. So I ordered my sled with the engine temperature sensor and I keep it set in the display.

When I was breaking mine in and I thought that I was using it a little hard (60-80 mph on a lake), I noted that the temp was not elevated from normal. That was my best attempt at the "drive it like you stole it" break-in strategy.

From reading your description I think that you did not overdo it. Varying the throttle was the right thing to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts