Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
From G-man and Rev Kev (thanks):
The Napa part no. is AR201 which supercedes AR316.
The 316 has the mount tab while the 201 does not but is hard to find now that it is obsolete.
I'm sure there are other part numbers that work so feel free to add to this thread.

This is a very common problem so why not carry a spare for some added security.

Symptoms: lights go out, tach and speedo quit working but the sled still runs.

The relay is located right above your secondary clutch on the frame.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Advantage Auto has the same relay with the mounting tab. It is RY-115. I used it on mine.

The 316 has the mount tab while the 201 does not but is hard to find now that it is obsolete.
I'm sure there are other part numbers that work so feel free to add to this thread.

[/quote]

·
Registered
492 Posts
From G-man and Rev Kev (thanks):

You can also use NAPA Echlin # AR143,2years ago a guy brought the O.E. Doo one in and IF memory serves me right the O.E.# crossed over.The AR143 DOES have a mount tab,but that does not really matter.The bottom line is that a few different relays will work for the same application.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You're kidding right, instead of a toll kit these things should come with a tool box. Where is the spare relay holder on the sled. Is it next to the spare plug holder ?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
For all you Canadians (which I am ha ha) try Parts Source #RL36621 or Canadian Tire #23-7066, there the same people & parts just a different name, $6.99 & yes there's one in my tool kit. I'm in the dark enough without having relay problem.Ken

·
Registered
239 Posts
Will this relay work on the SDI's too?
Can anyone tell me the part number on the OEM relay (not the ski-doo part number, I can look that up) on a NON SDI sled. I suspect it will be something like NAIS CB1-M-12V but I' don't own a NON SDI sled.

To answer the SDI question above, the NON SDI relay has a bracket, the SDI one doesn't because it's in the fuse panel compartment. Are they the same, I'm trying to compare the specs to see if that's the only difference, that's why I need the NON SDI part number on the OEM relay itself.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
are the mentioned relays for sdi sleds only? my buddy has a 2002 legend 600 and told me he started it the other day and had no dash instruments or lights worked but ran good. Is it different for the zx or do they use/have the same wiring? Thanks.

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The number above is for NON-SDI sleds. Most likely the ZX models too but not for sure.

No tools needed to remove it. Just reach up and grab it with two hands. One on the wire harness and the other pulling on the relay.

You don't need to remove the 2ndary clutch either.

·
Registered
239 Posts
are the mentioned relays for sdi sleds only? my buddy has a 2002 legend 600 and told me he started it the other day and had no dash instruments or lights worked but ran good. Is it different for the zx or do they use/have the same wiring? Thanks.
I can't find a relay on that sled through the BRP parts site.
I had a problem like that on my 97, it was a loose connection at the voltage regulator.

·
2011 RMK PRO 155
8,136 Posts
a relay is a relay, as long as it has 5 pins it should work.. you can get them at radio shack if you wanted to.
Untrue, a better quality relay will have Nickle -vs- copper Contacts, and a higher Quality Relay will hava a diode in the coil windings, resulting in better clamping of the contacts, and longer life. A better Quality Relay will also have a Higher Amp Rating, of 30 to 40 amp -vs- 15 to 20 amps on a cheaper Relay. Now Better Quality does not always mean Higher Price (like the Doo relay)

·
G MAN
5,381 Posts
a relay is a relay, as long as it has 5 pins it should work.. you can get them at radio shack if you wanted to.
Untrue, a better quality relay will have Nickle -vs- copper Contacts, and a higher Quality Relay will hava a diode in the coil windings, resulting in better clamping of the contacts, and longer life. A better Quality Relay will also have a Higher Amp Rating, of 30 to 40 amp -vs- 15 to 20 amps on a cheaper Relay. Now Better Quality does not always mean Higher Price (like the Doo relay)
[/quote]

Rev Kev,

Does the "30" on the e-diagram refer to the amp rating? If so, both AR145 and AR201 are rated at 30. I assume from your comment there to be no issues with running a higher amp rated relay on a 20 amp system?

Cheers,

G MAN

·
2011 RMK PRO 155
8,136 Posts
[/quote]

Rev Kev,

Does the "30" on the e-diagram refer to the amp rating? If so, both AR145 and AR201 are rated at 30. I assume from your comment there to be no issues with running a higher amp rated relay on a 20 amp system?

Cheers,

G MAN
[/quote]
Not if you are refering to the Pin number. Also the higher amp relays useally have the higher Quality Contacts.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts