Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5600 miles and not a single problem. I inspect my sled after every weekend, keep the oil on high so all the parts get soaked, mainly the bottom end, I use Klotz. I never give it more than 1/4 throttle until it is warm...about 2-3 miles. I run the sled on a stand to warm up the track and belt and generally take care and not hot rod or drag race. I just ride the thing, average 300 miles a weekend. I give it good gas and use dry gas at all times. So there, all these motor explosions are not always a mfg defect, you need to take care of these motors and not treat it like a red headed step child. Yeh, my carb boots went south but I caught it because I knew there was a problem with these, Just wanted to tell the other side to these motors. I am really tired of all the posts about blown motors. In fact I hardly believe 1/2 of them.

·
Registered
937 Posts
thanks, needed the rub in the face, yes i maintain my sled, good fas check everything, good oil, i am just ticked your telling me that this sled was abused and there for caused a bearing to go inside the crank , nobody should expect that?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Well, good to hear you sled runs good. Not bashing you but I am "edit for bad language" @ mine. I check mine over, service it, warm it up, wipe it's "edit for bad language", all that. The probelm is I am a guy with mentality that i bought an 800 to ride the darn thing. I like to ride fast, play in the woods, powder, and take it easy on a nice smooth trail. If you spent 8,9,10 grand for a sled, and buy an 800 or 1000 or what ever you prefer, you should be able to pound on the darn things and not worry about them the whole day. The bottom line in my mind is they are way too expensive to have them break every trip (my experience this year), if I wanted to ride slow and not play I would just by a 380 or something. There is definitly common sense to take it easy on them but darn is it frustrating sometimes. The worst part about it is the 2 times my motor went this year I had been riding pretty easy. Oh well hope i have better luck in the future, good luck with yours.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've had good luck with mine too, but I only have 1400 miles on it so far. I've done a lot of preventative maintenance due to the experience of fellow dootalkers. Now I'm just hoping I don't have trouble with it. This is my first doo, and I previously owned several cats and never had a problem with any of them. I don't regret switching, because I love the rev chassis, but I agree that $9K is way to much to spend and have to worry about engines blowing. Sorry to hear of all the problems other people have had with the powertek.

·
2011 RMK PRO 155
8,136 Posts
I wonder how many of these blown engines have checked oil Ratio and leaned it down, Mine is running about 32:1 and I know Doo reccomends 45:1, but guess what, Mine will stay at 32:1. If you purshased used, the prior owner may have re-adjusted the oil pump, or the dealer on the 10 Hr Check up, if it has been taken in for that. Just Food for thought

·
Registered
443 Posts
2,200mls so far on my 06 about 1,700 on the trails riding it HARD and 500 in the mountains hauling my 255lbs arse up and down the mountains. so far so good for me. sorry to here about others misfortune

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't mean to bash or rub in anyones face but I wanted people to know that some of these are good. Oil is the problem and there are TSBs that say to turn the oil UP. I did and I use a lot but it is cheap insurance. So if you have a PT800 go out now and turn the oil up, the best place to start is on the cable, you should have at least 3 threads showing. I can feel for those who have been burned on these, it may not be oil but it more than likely is. Bearings go from a lack of it, very seldom due to poor quality or over reving. I am sorry if I offended anyone, that was not the purpose of this thread.

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
Make another mark on the wall!

2 months, 2900km and still kicking strong

·
Registered
682 Posts
2000 miles,still rocking and rolling. amsoil intercepter oil. we'll see. my 04 needed new rings at less than 1000 miles and the entire motor went down at around 1800 miles. so far so good to say the least.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Hold your breath everyone........tick toc tick toc tick toc tick toc.........uh oh!!!! There she blows! Just kidding.

·
Professional Spark Plug Gapper
15,501 Posts
a recreational toy that costs 9000, should be able to have "the goddamn "edit for bad language" beat out of it" and come back for more, but the vehicles driven on the road everyday ranging from 10000 to 100000 dollars shouldn't? run your car/truck just shy of the redline for 1500 miles in one weekend and see how that runs when you're done. everybody expects way too much out of equipment.

not saying that all "blow ups" are from over abuse, but i'm sure quite a few are...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
[quote name='MotionMan' date='Feb 23 2006, 06:25 PM']
I don't mean to bash or rub in anyones face but I wanted people to know that some of these are good. Oil is the problem and there are TSBs that say to turn the oil UP. I did and I use a lot but it is cheap insurance. So if you have a PT800 go out now and turn the oil up, the best place to start is on the cable, you should have at least 3 threads showing. I can feel for those who have been burned on these, it may not be oil but it more than likely is. Bearings go from a lack of it, very seldom due to poor quality or over reving. I am sorry if I offended anyone, that was not the purpose of this thread.

[snapback]731653[/snapback]​
[/quo

After going through 2 motors this year I could not agree more. My buddy has an '04 Morgan 800 w/ 9 grand on it, he never changed the oil pump right out of the box, I believe I will "DOO" the same on my new '07. I am not affended @ all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe I'm nuts but I agree with rev kev and motion man on there oil thoughts.These machines get great fuel milage and consequently they get great oil milage. For instance:
1 sled gets [email protected]:1 goes 100 miles @6000rpm=5gals fuel .111gals oil
2 sled gets 10 [email protected]:1goes 100 [email protected] rpm=10gals fuel .222gal oil
this is just a for instance and maybe I am wrong,but i know my sled gets 33% better fuel milage than an xc 600 and about 36% better milage than a 800 xc polaris that I ride with. My sled is a 2006 800 pt renegade running about 32:1 and thats where she's gonna stay.Hoping its cheap insurance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.