Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to dealer today for the 10 hour checkup. He noticed my AMSOIL sticker on my sled and was mad. I told him im still running XPS-Synthetic blend (400 miles now for break in) but when reservoir goes empty im switching to amsoil interceptor oil. He said amsoil is full of AMMONIA and all it does is clean and not lubricate. I looked up amsoil interceptor and found out its API TC, JASO FC. Does this mean it isnt TC-W3? Dealer also said manual says dont use TC-W3 but all i found on page 124 in manual says (dont use NMMA TC-W, TC-W2 or TC-W3 2 stroke oils or ashless 2 stroke oils. Does this mean dont use interceptor? The only AMSOIL oils that are TC-W3 are the sabre professional and hp injector synthetic.What do i do? I have 4 gallons of interceptor synthetic oil?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot 1 more thing. what did he mean by ammonia in oil? Is TC-W3 ammonia? and do all oils for 2 strokes have some in it. He said if you put amsoil in your hand it will reak the smell of ammonia, and all its good for is cleaning he said?

·
Registered
569 Posts
if you havent opened the jugs yet you should be able to return them. you take your sled to custom cycle??. i know paul doesnt like that stuff at all, neither do i but w.e.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Renegade Scotty said:
Forgot 1 more thing. what did he mean by ammonia in oil? Is TC-W3 ammonia? and do all oils for 2 strokes have some in it. He said if you put amsoil in your hand it will reak the smell of ammonia, and all its good for is cleaning he said?
[snapback]689121[/snapback]​
Dealer is misinformed IMO. He's right about the tcw3 ashless oils, rotax would prefer you use a low ash api-tc oil, jaso-fc, or iso-egd. Which is one reason amsoil blended their interceptor to the api-tc spec.

The smell of ammonia in twocycle oils is nitration and is not added ammonia, he's sniffing too many oil bottles. Some of his opinion could be based on amways marketing scheme, touting interceptor as being double treat with additive for clean valves, blah, blah, so they kind of brought that on themselves. Doesn't mean jack, and it's a decent oil so i wouldn't be afraid of it. If you dealer service just to keep the peace you might want to lose the amway stickers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Renegade Scotty said:
Ok i might try and return it. But maybe ill just use it. should be OK.
[snapback]689288[/snapback]​
Anyone try Wynns 2 stroke oil???Pulled raves out on an engine with 1900 miles and absolutely clean and nice film of oil wash in the exhaust ports,the owner says he has used it since he got the sled.

·
Doo Rider
3,171 Posts
alot of people on here use Interceptor. No problems here with it 3000kms.

Amsoil actually has a warranty, that if anyone can prove that there oil caused the breakdown then they will pay to fix it.

I have never heard of anyone having there sled fixed by amsoil yet.

·
Super Moderator
31,536 Posts
Why you just didn't stick with Doo oil and eliminate any question. The semi-synthetic is recommended and isn't out of line pricewise, eliminates any and all oil questions and is cheap insurance. Plus your dealer sees you face in buying the stuff and gets to know you better. That alone is priceless. Besides, if something happens to your engine, thats one area of finger pointing they can't do - and it works well too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
MX-Z Man said:
Why you just didn't stick with Doo oil and eliminate any question. The semi-synthetic is recommended and isn't out of line pricewise, eliminates any and all oil questions and is cheap insurance. Plus your dealer sees you face in buying the stuff and gets to know you better. That alone is priceless. Besides, if something happens to your engine, thats one area of finger pointing they can't do - and it works well too.
[snapback]689612[/snapback]​
Page 91 on the 2002 Ski-doo owner's manual (the 1st one in my arms reach here) states and I quote.......... " If BOMBARDIER injection oil is not available, API TC high quality ashless two-stroke injection oil may be used"

And then it states:..... "CAUTION: Never use four stroke petroleumor synthetic motor oil and never mix these with outboard motor oil. Do not use NMMA TC-W, TC-W2 or TC-W3 outbord motor oils. Avoid mixing different brands of API TC oil as resulting chemical reactions may cause severe engine damage."

·
Super Moderator
31,536 Posts
milrlite said:
MX-Z Man said:
[snapback]689612[/snapback]​
Page 91 on the 2002 Ski-doo owner's manual (the 1st one in my arms reach here) states and I quote.......... " If BOMBARDIER injection oil is not available, API TC high quality ashless two-stroke injection oil may be used"

And then it states:..... "CAUTION: Never use four stroke petroleumor synthetic motor oil and never mix these with outboard motor oil. Do not use NMMA TC-W, TC-W2 or TC-W3 outbord motor oils. Avoid mixing different brands of API TC oil as resulting chemical reactions may cause severe engine damage."
[snapback]689670[/snapback]​
In 2002 that was correct. A LOT has changed since 2002, except the part about never mixing 2 stroke and 4 stroke oils. Thats always been that way. Today BRP recommends Semi-Synthetic is all of the SDI engines, mineral oil in the others (expect 4 strokes), with semi or full synthetic being optional. When the semi recommendation came out the theroy was (if I remember correctly) with the nickasil cylinders being so slippery and the full synthetic being so slippery, there wasn't enough oil cling going on with the cylinder walls. Apparently through testing they found the semi actually was offering BETTER protection than full synthetic. It's obvious they didn't make the change for $$$, as they are now asking you to spend $10.00/gallon LESS for oil than before. I know when I picked my '04 up I had to sign a paper saying the dealer had (1) filled it with full synthetic and (2) the dealer had drilled into my head the importance of using BRP full synthetic in the SDI engines. A few months later they switched that recommendation to semi and I've been running it, successfully, ever since. BRP has done the engineering and oil recommendations, why re-invent the wheel?

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,444 Posts
Renegade Scotty said:
Yes BRP shouldnt reinvent the wheel. Amsoil is the choice for price and quality. Brp might me good quality to (castrol) but i hate paying $16.20 a litre here in saskatchewan whenm my amsoil was $6.99 a litre
[snapback]691310[/snapback]​
Under $4.00/ L. Low ash,synthetic blend , API TC, ISO EGD, JASO FC. Sold through your local Esso bulk station.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.