Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in the carb rebuild kit yesterday on my 74 Elan 250.

The kit included a high speed needle, but (gulp), my carb doesn't have one. There is a solid threaded plug that goes in the hole marked H, I take that out and there is a brass fitting in there that is slotted to accept a screwdriver. I didn't mess with that because I don't know what is under there (springs, balls, spiders?)

So anyone know what the deal is? Is the high speed mixture not adjustable?

Also, I picked up a 1980 Everest 500 twin with a spare engine incl 2 Mikuni carbs.
Since each carb is feeding a 250cc cylinder, could I use one of the spare Mikuni carbs on my 250 Elan? I've read that the Mikuni carbs are an upgrade to the Tillotsons.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
There is no Hi speed adjusting screw because you got a FIXED jet.Thats what you see under the brass fitting.

Mikuni carbs on Elan and Everest 500 were different size.I cant remember exactly but probably 28 mm and 34 mm for everest.And jets,needle,etc were differents.You could install the bigger ,but you have to mess with jetting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
HiOctane said:
There is no Hi speed adjusting screw because you got a FIXED jet.Thats what you see under the brass fitting.

Mikuni carbs on Elan and Everest 500 were different size.I cant remember exactly but probably 28 mm and 34 mm for everest.And jets,needle,etc were differents.You could install the bigger ,but you have to mess with jetting.
[snapback]272780[/snapback]​

·
Registered
21 Posts
The later 250 elans used a MIkuni carb 28 mm. If you can find a used motor you will need to get the carb and rubber mounting flange also the fuel pump and the throttle cable.Making the mount for the fuel pump is pretty easy and straigt forward.If you just find a carb you can buy the rest from dennis kirk.Pump 30.00 flange around 12.00 throttle cable around the same you will also need a gasline tee fitting to hook up the primer.I have used both TILLYS and MIKUNIS like them both but ihave found the mikuni requiers much less maintanance. Hope this helps KASH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts