Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rolled my Gade and bent the bars, so need new ones. I found anybody selling used stuff either wanted stupid prices or were selling junk, so decided to swallow the bullet and buy new. I knew I wanted to get bars similar to the Freeride bars, as most of my sled has been swapped over to FR stuff. But it seemed like a lot of money to spend for just silver handlebars... Where the bling??? :D

Anyways, submitted for future reference, a real game changer ladies and genital men....

Freeride bars = 2015 Summit X bars

Freeride riser = 2015 Summit X riser

So, in case anybody is wondering, you can now get the same bars in a couple different colours. I just ordered my orange ones. The white Summit riser looks perty but I'm using Fly 3" to get the height back down an inch.

And there you have it. Life changing event! Or not... ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will keep adding to this as there are actually a couple issues that came up and it may be helpful to others down the road if I explain them here.

First, I'm not that bright. And I put the cart before the horse. I wanted to get the bars ready for installation the next day so at night I went and filled them with expanding foam. Great idea, but not the smartest thing to do if you intend to use AIR to put he grips on. Duh. No longer an option.

Second, I attempted to reuse the heater elements front the Renegade as there was nothing wrong with them. Unfortunately due to the curve in the bar, they won't fit. They stick up on the top of the curve so I really doubt the grips would go over them without tearing them. Maybe I'll use them on my snowblower or something...

I got a good tip frim a Ski Do mechanic. Wrap the end of the heater elements with packing tape before he grips go over, then spray with brake cleaner to get the grips over. The packing tape is very thin and won't effect the heat as much as electrical tape. Nice!

Oh ya. The elements are still available in 3 wire Fyi. The Summit and Freeride use different elements as one of them only has off and on, while the other has high, low, off.

Posting from my phone out of boredom so I'll attach a couple pictures here.
20150206_231948_zpsibtinpxa.jpg
20150206_233146_zpsykbswmsj.jpg
20150207_154920_zpshqrj5lji.jpg

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
You can still use compressed air to help install the grips, with handlebars full of expanding foam. Might need two people...one on the opposite side of the sled pulling the grip on while you blow air in the grip to swell it up. I can do this by myself but it is much easier to have some one help you pull the grip on as you are blowing the air in the grip end.

The RSI element are less expensive than those Dang BRP elements. Good luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ski B. I wanted to try the brake cleaner anyways so I used that. I've always used hairspray for motorbike grips etc and this was a chance to try something different. It works very well, but you have to absolutely soak them, and put them on within a millisecond. Even a delay long enough to set the can down and they won't go on all the way. Wear gloves, they get very slippery...

Using the 3" riser I didn't have to reroute anything at all. The throttle cable is a bit snug, ok maybe not snug, just could be looser if I wasn't so lazy and ran it around the rider side of the risers like everybody else.

Where the hard line from the brake comes out of the lever was rubbing, YMMV depending on how yours was put together. A slight turn with a 14mm and a twist, problem solved. The brake line won't leak and require bleeding fyi. And the packing tape is amazing. Works extremely well.

I will eventually relocate the left control module, but we just got about a foot of fresh powder and I want to ride!

20150207_180444_zpsayk6mcdc.jpg

20150207_215045_zpstur06cdu.jpg

20150207_215053_zpsprkds19t.jpg

20150207_221633_zpsrbourz2y.jpg

Reactions: Ski-B

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Looking real good. Have fun out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts