Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've tried to read every carbide thread on the forum, but I'm still unsure which direction to go.

2019 - 850 Renegade with 1.25" Ice Ripper. I'll be moving the 4" to the outside and still have two questions:

1) do you prefer 6" or 8" in the middle given the HP on this sled?

2) Shaper, Woody or the BRP ACE runner (which seems to be made by Woody). I've usually ran stock runners and have had decent longevity so the Trail Blazer IV from BRP would be an option as well?

I'm probably overthinking this but it's the off season and I miss this site!

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,312 Posts
I've tried to read every carbide thread on the forum, but I'm still unsure which direction to go.

2019 - 850 Renegade with 1.25" Ice Ripper. I'll be moving the 4" to the outside and still have two questions:

1) do you prefer 6" or 8" in the middle given the HP on this sled?

2) Shaper, Woody or the BRP ACE runner (which seems to be made by Woody). I've usually ran stock runners and have had decent longevity so the Trail Blazer IV from BRP would be an option as well?

I'm probably overthinking this but it's the off season and I miss this site!
Suck up the limiter 1 hole also .

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Suck up the limiter 1 hole also .
Nice another person with the same thinking as me. I have taken some guff on this site for this type of advise.

I sucked up the strap 2 holes on my sleds and it has been the simple answer to better handling with a stock sled with stock carbides.

Reactions: krm

·
Registered
2022 Ski Doo Renegade XRS 900 TurboR
373 Posts
I know what you're saying about the limiter strap but I like front end a little lighter. Like to pull the skis up sometimes. I run Shapers in center and move the stocks to the outside, I don't have a problem making it turn. I'm trying Ace bars this year though because I wasn't thrilled with the quality of the Shapers last year. Had a chunk of carbide fall out in the exact same spot on both runners.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Before you waste $$ on little improvements with carbides. Fix the problem first. Switch to good ski's like grippers, C&A, or SLP mohawks, and then fine tune with carbides.

Carbides are really only improving the glare iced/ rock hard packed snow conditions. It is the ski that will improve the turning in normal conditions of medium packed/ loose snow conditions.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses. Providing I can locate a Canadian distributor, I will be getting a set of shapers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know what you're saying about the limiter strap but I like front end a little lighter. Like to pull the skis up sometimes. I run Shapers in center and move the stocks to the outside, I don't have a problem making it turn. I'm trying Ace bars this year though because I wasn't thrilled with the quality of the Shapers last year. Had a chunk of carbide fall out in the exact same spot on both runners.
x2

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have switched to the Woody ACE bars, Shaper bars carbide suck they chip and break off big chunks of carbide. Every few trips would need to buy new shapers because of the carbide missing chunks or chipped , the Woody ACE I just sharpen each trip and they last a good 1000 miles . I couldn’t tell much if any or a handling difference between the two . MY2Censt

·
Registered
2022 Ski Doo Renegade XRS 900 TurboR
373 Posts
I've always done pretty well with all my wear bars in the past other than the chunks of carbide falling out last year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts