Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out the hard way that there has been a problem with the oil cable on a bunch of XP's. My 2nd season on my 09 XP 800R Summit and the cable broke with just over 4000 miles on the sled. I ran it maybe 15 miles at the end of my ride last weekend and going down the single track to the cabin it did foul a plug, but I doubt it would have fouled a plug if I had kept punching the throttle to keep it cleaned out. I thought I was done for the season as I have read it basically requires pulling the motor to replace the cable, and I'd have to order one and would not have gotten it before this weekend's ride. But with the fresh snow that came out of a storm, I just had to get one last ride in this winter! So I pulled the carbs, 1 carb boot, and the secondary out of the way so I could fish a wire down thru the oil pump arm and tie it up around 1/4 throttle is what I was shooting for. Using pictures on DooTalk, I figured it needed to be close to the 10 or 11 o'clock position. As stated plenty of times on here, when the cable breaks it goes around from the closed position to wide open so that you don't burn up the motor before getting it fixed. I wire tied the oil pump arm and pre-mixed my fuel a little richer than 40:1. Ran it around the yard some and it still smokes quite a bit now, but it was running WOT on the oil pump earlier too. It should be fine for this last weekend and then I'll pull the motor and fix the cable routing too. Most likely go thru the whole motor too this summer.

Frayed cable

DSCN2222_zps489260ec.jpg

The oil pump arm wire tied up to the fuel pump

DSCN2217_zps9f7b0e03.jpg

DSCN2220_zps6ca82795.jpg

The Top Gear Alignment tool from Chris at C&T Powersports worked great for the fast removal and reinstallation of the secondary to give me the room needed. http://www.c-tpowersports.com/2013%20Website/Product/top_Gear%20Alignment%20Tool.html

DSCN2224_zps4639a47d.jpg

Pre-mix and Go!

DSCN2225_zps6ef84c1e.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
i would delete the stupid thing first chance you get.

Nice fix, let nothing stop the riding!

I also would have wired the pump completely shut and mixxed my fuel at 32:1. no oil needs tobe injected as all so long as you have premix

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure exactly where the pump arm ended up in the open position, as it did use a lot of oil still, but it ran just fine even though it smoked like crazy. And it gave me 2 more days on great snow to end the season, so the effort was well worth it.

i would delete the stupid thing first chance you get.

Nice fix, let nothing stop the riding!

I also would have wired the pump completely shut and mixxed my fuel at 32:1. no oil needs tobe injected as all so long as you have premix
Thanks

I wasn't sure if the pump would burn up, wear out, if it was still turning with no oil flowing thru it while the engine was running, so didn't wire it completely shut. Maybe it would have been fine, but I didn't want to risk it.

My end of season fix would have been a new cable. Seems like a lot less work.

:shrug
I would have had to order the new cable when I got back from the trip I was on when it broke, and I wouldn't have gotten it until the day I was leaving again if I was lucky. True I'll have to pull that stuff apart again to replace the cable, but it was mainly about not having the new part in time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts