Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out for a little ride sunday with some friends from work, all is good as I'm ripping through some farmer's field when I notice some drifts along the fence line, I hit the breaks to pull off trail to play in the powder,as I slow down and stand up the sled dies,right away I think I hit the kill switch accidently, I go to reset it but its not hit? or maybe I reset too ? So I come to a complete stop to restart it but the starter sounds like the battery is dead,so I try to pull it over and it's seized.I waited 5 minutes or so and tried to turn the primary and it rotated but with a tight spot waited a little longer and it was free.Tried starting it , it did but sounded like sh%t so I shut it off and had buddy tow me home with his'05X which was about 10 minutes away.

Pulled it apart last night melted Mag piston above ring on exhaust side, deposited piston onto cylinder, and no damage to billet head good thing it didn't happen at 8000 rpm.

Shipped out cylinder to Quebec for cleaning and replating and ordered pistons from Bill , I hope to have it back together for this weekend.
Why does it blow when we finally get snow?
At least it happened before our annual week long trip to northern Ontario.

I'll be shimming my needles after at rebuid time.
This happened about 20 minutes after filling up ?
Shouldn't the knock sensor have picked this up?

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
Exactly..."Shouldn't the knock sensor picked this up".

It should have if it was bad gas and was detonating.
Maybe another culprit in the midst here...better check them carb boots real carefully for air leaks. Even so, the sensor should have picked it up and shut you down or retarded your timing.

I would check the oil pump and thermostat too.

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you found.

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,217 Posts
REV*BARON said:

Maybe another culprit in the midst here...better check them carb boots real carefully for air leaks. Even so, the sensor should have picked it up and shut you down or retarded your timing.

[snapback]700875[/snapback]​
These powertech burndowns make me wonder if Doo's knock sensor is actually useful, or is a purely cosmetic feature

·
Registered
712 Posts
Had mine go down friday pto side.700 miles on 06800 pt.They said it was the reed spacer.Pinch the reed (air leak).Took 700 miles to do this?Falty reed spacer?Knock sencer?Bad gas? How come my poo didnt go down if it was bad fuel.Had the gf ride that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Now you guys got me nervous... anything particular I should watch for with mine...?? Will Ski-Doo do anything for it? (recall??...) Thank god for the 3 year warranty...

G

·
i have 3 questions:
(1) what is causing the meltdowns?
poor rubber......on certain boots?

(2) are the dealers/owners, running the sleds way lean for performance?

(3) wouldnt it be easier and better business to (recall), rather than replace engine after engine, and earn bad rap?
my .02

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
REV*BARON said:

I checked the carb boots they're fine, internals have a nice coating of oil but I haven't tested my thermostat yet . I think I'll have to look at some EGT's .

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Received pistons today after only ordering the pistons monday afternoon wat to go Bill

G

·
REV_X_MAN said:
Received pistons today after only ordering the pistons monday afternoon wat to go Bill

[snapback]703852[/snapback]​
And you`re missing all this wonderful riding.What A time for your engine to go down!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
500ss man said:
REV_X_MAN said:

And you`re missing all this wonderful riding.What A time for your engine to go down!

[snapback]703866[/snapback]​
It sucks big time! But atleast I still have the old '97 formula to rip around on to keep the edge off, I should have the '05 back together Friday night

G

·
REV_X_MAN said:
500ss man said:
REV_X_MAN said:

[snapback]703866[/snapback]​
It sucks big time! But atleast I still have the old '97 formula to rip around on to keep the edge off, I should have the '05 back together Friday night

[snapback]703883[/snapback]​
That`s good to hear

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where's my jug I hope it's here Monday,this sucks missing out on all this snow.

·
Registered
309 Posts
my power-tec burned down thursday morning. Check to see if you have a crack between the big & one of the small exhaust ports. Good Luck

·
Registered
153 Posts
REV*BARON said:

I just had my 06 800 powertec renegade out today. I think you are right about the knock sensor as I could hear the detination, (I think that is what it was.), and wondered why the knock sensor did not retard the timing.

When I came out of the corners and accelerated I would hear a pft pft pft. I know this sounds weird but it is hard to describe in writing. I do use isopropyl on most fill ups and also never put any of the sleds away without filling the tanks. Fortunately I had no other issues with the sled and once I was able to top it off with some good premium gas the issue went away.

My question is this: My wife and I are going on the snow train to Hearst, Cochrane etc. next week. Is good gas readily available up there? I don't want to offend anyone that lives in those areas but if finding good premium gas could be an issue would bringing along some octane boost be adviseable?

Any opinions would be welcome as it will just be the two of us and not a group of guys.

Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
mxz700r said:
i have 3 questions:
(1) what is causing the meltdowns?
poor rubber......on certain boots?

(2) are the dealers/owners, running the sleds way lean for performance?

(3) wouldnt it be easier and better business to (recall), rather than replace engine after engine, and earn bad rap?
my .02

[snapback]701361[/snapback]​
Why recall a sled that the customer has modified. Aftermarket Pistons, billet head and he changed jetting. Your on your own when you do these things. Maybe Bill should give this guy a waranty.

·
Registered
81 Posts
REV*BARON said:

Hey Rev Baron, the knock sensor will pick up detonation from bad gas, too much compression, too much spark, low octane gas, BUT NOT A LEAN CONDITION, possibly caused by water in the gas and a partially plugged jet.

·
Registered
168 Posts
HarveyEdson said:
REV*BARON said:

Hey Rev Baron, the knock sensor will pick up detonation from bad gas, too much compression, too much spark, low octane gas, BUT NOT A LEAN CONDITION, possibly caused by water in the gas and a partially plugged jet.

My 06 800 renegade burned down 2 weeks ago they said that the gas had water in it - odd because I use isopropil and only 91 octane gas, anyway when it blew i was going about 65 mph and It locked up. No engine lights came on untill I was almost stopped, when I took it to the dealer he said that the piston had seized,broke the connecting rod in half and the rod fell into the crank, broke the crank and destroyed the block the only thig that was salvageable was one piston and one jug. It was covered under warrenty by brp and fixed the same week with a complete new motor- they didn't even use the piston and the jug that was OK. I don't like the fact that a sled with 1200miles burned down but the fast service and no questions asked additude from my dealer was very nice. the only thing that I don't like is now this melt down is in my head when I ride

·
Registered
283 Posts
The problem we PT 800 owners have is after the warranty expires and the motor chunks again.....this situation is really getting to me. If my second motor goes in my 800 X Renegade, I hate to say it, I'm done with Ski-Doo. I had really started to believe I had a good product. But, it seems to be turning into the same old story...a company too big to know any better.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
SnoProG said:
The problem we PT 800 owners have is after the warranty expires and the motor chunks again.....this situation is really getting to me. If my second motor goes in my 800 X Renegade, I hate to say it, I'm done with Ski-Doo. I had really started to believe I had a good product. But, it seems to be turning into the same old story...a company too big to know any better.
[snapback]712681[/snapback]​
too big to know any better ? they fixed it under warranty right? whats the problem,they gave you a new motor! sounds like a good company to me!!!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts