Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a life long DOO owner and I know this has been talked about alot but this is the seventh 800 03 doo friends and family have owned and now every single one has had the pto bearing go. I can not believe there has not been a full recall on that 800. 2 different dealers I do business have fixed 78 800s since they came out this is very disturbing I wonder if DOO is going to fix this one it has 1009 miles on it and out of warranty. I hope they will step up to the plate heading to the dealer tomorrow we will see. Any info on this fix will surely help.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
827mach1 said:
I am a life long DOO owner and I know this has been talked about alot but this is the seventh 800 03 doo friends and family have owned and now every single one has had the pto bearing go. I can not believe there has not been a full recall on that 800. 2 different dealers I do business have fixed 78 800s since they came out this is very disturbing I wonder if DOO is going to fix this one it has 1009 miles on it and out of warranty. I hope they will step up to the plate heading to the dealer tomorrow we will see. Any info on this fix will surely help.
[snapback]699323[/snapback]​
TTT

·
Registered
605 Posts
Now I'm not trying to be the stern father with a lecture here, but you've been a member since 2004, you have seven 03' 800's in your family and you didn't do the breather mod or seal retainer kit in ANY of them? I agree they should have been recalled, but since they won't, I made sure I did as much preventative maintenance as I could. It's like the old saying goes, "Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me."

Anyways, I'm not trying to be a jerk, hope all goes well on the rebuild, and please, buy the kit for the PTO seal......

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Melonbob said:
Now I'm not trying to be the stern father with a lecture here, but you've been a member since 2004, you have seven 03' 800's in your family and you didn't do the breather mod or seal retainer kit in ANY of them? I agree they should have been recalled, but since they won't, I made sure I did as much preventative maintenance as I could. It's like the old saying goes, "Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me."

Anyways, I'm not trying to be a jerk, hope all goes well on the rebuild, and please, buy the kit for the PTO seal......

[snapback]699703[/snapback]​
What kind of kit is there? How hard is it to put in?

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was told by a Ski-Doo racer that the seal problem occured typically in the first 1500 miles. If it doesn't go by them, you're probably in the clear. Mine has 3300 miles on it, but I just got it last year with 2400 on the clock. The seal looks fine yet, but I am going to install a hose with filter. Anyone just use a sponge on the end of the hose? That is what I had in mind.
Eurofan

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Melonbob said:

[snapback]699703[/snapback]​
I should have been more clear, these sleds are in my relatives not my own family and some friends and not all were brand new some bought used, I have also told them about the problem but some did not belive there was a problem. Also I did not know there was a retainer kit out for the seal so thanks for the info. Mine is 04 so no issues.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Only been on this fourm for about a week and been reading about this so I looked at mine tonight and I see that it is pushed out. How far, I really don't know as I didn't pull the clutch off. But I can see there is really no gap between the bearing and the clutch. Can this be tapped back in and put the retainer on it or do I need to split the case and fix that way?
Sled has 2200 miles, has anyone gotten these fixed by Ski Doo?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Mine is all the way out to the clutch and the dealer told me that the inside seal might be pushed out also? Also checked compression and I was down to 103 and 110. So I pulled the motor and bringing it in on Monday to have the bearings redone and rering it. I PM AIRDOO like you said just waiting for him to get back to me. Should still put the retainer on correct? When they fix it, it can still come back out correct?

Thanks

Eric

·
Registered
605 Posts
Rocketboy said:
Mine is all the way out to the clutch and the dealer told me that the inside seal might be pushed out also? Also checked compression and I was down to 103 and 110. So I pulled the motor and bringing it in on Monday to have the bearings redone and rering it. I PM AIRDOO like you said just waiting for him to get back to me. Should still put the retainer on correct? When they fix it, it can still come back out correct?

Thanks

Eric
[snapback]710631[/snapback]​
100% Correct....when you get the rings, tell them to make sure you want the chrome ones stock rings flake and thats what causes you to lose compression. after that install the airdoo kit, and you are good to go!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.