Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Dootalkers, So I've taken the skid off my 2010 summit X 154 and want to make everything blacked out, I'm thinking anodizing the rails but not sure how much that would cost ? any ideas ?
Or would I be better off to powder coat them ? Seems like paint might not be as durable.

Then I really want to get a Red Hyfax for the rails, just trying to separate the look from the new 2011 sleds, dose anyone have a good line on coloured slides ?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Let It Snow, Braaaaaaaap.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
There was someone searching for Red Hyfax on here not long ago, do a search and see what they came up with. Doo as far as I know makes them only up to a 144"

PowderCoating likely run you $100-150, most places have a minimum set up charge, Anodizing works well too. Same price for the rails. The only problem with anodizing is you get color variances as the metal properaties differ. Powder coating gets you the same red for all your pieces.

If you want to go trick and can't find Red Hyfax, just powder coat the rails red and use black sliders. Get your spindles done Red at the same time.

Call around in Vancouver, (likely the best option for ya) to get pricing. When I lived in Van I used these guys for a few small items http://www.altechanodizing.com/

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey DC76,
thanks for the info I called them and will be going down this week to drop off my parts, skid rails, spindles and steering arms, not sure whats going to red or black yet but stoked to have a custom looking ride

I am having trouble right now getting the spindles off the a arms..... is there any tricks you know, are they threaded on or do the come off with some ******* force ?

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am having trouble right now getting the spindles off the a arms..... is there any tricks you know, are they threaded on or do the come off with some ******* force ?

I just picked up my rails and tunnel extension from the anodize shop on friday the look really sweet it was $160 for everything. As for the spindles...get a big hammer and pound the crap out of them...they will come

·
I Just Wanna Ride Man
2,420 Posts
Hey DC76,
thanks for the info I called them and will be going down this week to drop off my parts, skid rails, spindles and steering arms, not sure whats going to red or black yet but stoked to have a custom looking ride

Use a little heat on the balljoint if it wont come you might have to get a puller for it. Mine came off with a little bit of heat the other day and a bunch of pounding. But my lower a arm was also off of my sled made it much easier.

LetItSnow

·
Registered
337 Posts
What i have found to work for taking the lower ball joint from the spindle is to completely remove the nut, restart it back wards with the nyloc first. Thread it just before the it comes out of the nut. Get preferably, an "oak" board, and rap it a few time fairly aggressively with a hammer. The oak basically protects the nut and the threads of the stud on the ball joint.. A brass hammer without the oak works the best, but i realize its not a hot item for most do it youselfers. ******* at its finest. Crewd.... but effective.

·
Captain of Vessel S.S. Stump Hunter
869 Posts
Hey DC76,

It is a tapered fit. See this post for some enlightenment on the subject http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=396856&st=0&p=2942558&hl=+ball%20+joint%20+tool&fromsearch=1&#entry2942558

1 - 8 of 8 Posts