Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Am I crazy this many studs?

5K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  BeerMan 
#1 ·
So going to be re-studding my sled this week. I am trying to make my sled the baddest true trail sled around these parts. With that said, I am prepared to give up some trail manners in favor of 500’ drag performance in order to do this.
I am considering going 6 studs per bar - 4 in the center and 1 in each outer. This would total 324 studs in total.
I’m using 1.8” Woody’s Triggers on my 1.5” Intense track. It just sounds like a lot and I’m trying to wrap my head around it. Just wondering if anyone else has run that on the trail and how it went. As a side note, I already have sore heat exchangers on order lol!

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

Reactions: don'tletoff
#8 ·
have you ever tried all doubles
4 per row 2 sets of angled backers

Reactions: BLIZARD
#9 ·
I have not

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

#11 ·
Have you seen those backers that look like chisels? They are wide body and the stud goes through them so theoretically the stud will take the beating from trail riding but the chisel can help in the snow drags. I can't find a link but they looked bad ass.

How often you race? I have been crazy enough to install the chisels the night before and remove them the day after. Or just have two tracks, one trail, one race lol. Swap them out when needed.

#12 ·
I run 240 1.86 Triggers in a storm 150 track in a 6 4 6 4 configuration with two sets of double backers in the middle every row. Personally I've always liked 4 per bar with 2 in the middle and 2 on the outside each row (all singles). I bought the sled with the current studding configuration and it works very well - I wouldn't want anymore than what's in it though. That's a lot of rotating mass - when it comes time to replace the track I will likely go with 4 per bar(all singles). The goal would be to keep as many studs close to the rails as you can while maintaining as many scratch lines as possible with angled backers of course. Anything closer to the center of the track furthest from the rails I will try running standard backers for braking.

#13 ·
here is my trail sled. I run half chisels, half triggers. If you want the chisels to last, just put in one size shorter than the triggers. They won’t have much weight on them on concrete and asphalt that way. But you get the benefit in snow of the flat surface. Mine are all the same length… but to be honest I have not trail ridden with this set-up yet. But it hooks pretty good
Fuel tank Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Vehicle

#14 ·
Trying to avoid the chisels, as many circuits around here disallow them in trail classes… and I agree.

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

#16 ·
Why don't you just go 4 per bar at the 1.8 length? wouldn't that be an upgrade over what you have currently?
I currently have 4 per bar with the 1.6” triggers

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

#23 ·
I’ve always found this comment interesting. Not necessarily incorrect, just interesting.
So what is the point of diminishing returns here? Any amount of studs adds rotating mass, right? So 300 studs on let’s say a 600 stocker? Sure. Way overkill. And I would agree it’s too much rotating mass for top speed runs/ radar runs of 130+ long pulls. But that’s not my goal. I’m looking to be as competitive in 300’ - 500’ drag races in trail trim. No slugged shocks. No straps. Etc.
Too much rotating mass? Too much for what…. I’m gonna find out! Lol

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

#19 ·
What size drivers are you running? What’s your tunnel protection?
Thanks man.

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

Reactions: don'tletoff
#29 ·
Yup. Gonna send it. Going 6 per bar. I only need to drill holes in every other outer bar because I have some holes from previous patterns/numbers before.

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

Reactions: motohd66
#30 ·
Yes, 300 some studs is really really stupid. It's a horribly bad ides, but you'll learn the hard way from the sounds of it.

I've seen so many guys think more studs is better its crazy. All you'll do is sit and spin. Too many studs just ride on top of the ice. More studs does not mean more traction, but it does mean more weight and more track ballooning, along with more all important cords being cut reducing track strength.

Will be fun ride when the track come out of it from all those cords you cut!

There are much better ways to find traction with less studs. The less you can get by with is FAR better and faster!

#31 ·
Guess I need to change the title from “Am I crazy” to “Am I stupid”.

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

• Helpful
Reactions: grover
#33 ·
Guess I need to change the title from “Am I crazy” to “Am I stupid”.

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports
You have a 137 under that sled? I would go 146 to help with traction. then the tallest studs you can physically run and go a 4-2-4 or 4-3-4 set up. after that its all launch control which is way out of my knowledge. I ran a cut down 137 on my old renegade and it hooked very well but its also way way less hp than your sled.

#35 ·
1" 137 Ripsaw with 144 1.325 triggers and 96 chisels with pro series double backers hook up pretty well. Most people I see that have issues with picks also have issues with when and how to use the throttle too........ I used pro series doubles on another higher powered sled with great results so I used them on this one last year with the same results with more power. I can't help but wonder what 240+ triggers would be like................ I may find out this year? ;)
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Wheel Vehicle

#39 ·

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.