Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
To much rotating mass.
I’ve always found this comment interesting. Not necessarily incorrect, just interesting.
So what is the point of diminishing returns here? Any amount of studs adds rotating mass, right? So 300 studs on let’s say a 600 stocker? Sure. Way overkill. And I would agree it’s too much rotating mass for top speed runs/ radar runs of 130+ long pulls. But that’s not my goal. I’m looking to be as competitive in 300’ - 500’ drag races in trail trim. No slugged shocks. No straps. Etc.
Too much rotating mass? Too much for what…. I’m gonna find out! Lol

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Add a Lug cut to 1.3 and even better...
I was going to try that, but at least 1/3 of the tracks we run here are snow/ice crusty/mashed potatoes. I’m thinking I want my lug height in those situations.
I may be wrong. You may be right. I’m gonna try it!

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

Discussion starter · #27 ·
wouldn't less studs give you better penetration, to many studs act like a bed of nails View attachment 2010004
I get what you’re saying for sure, but I’m thinking you’d have to put way more than I’m doing for that theory to really be true. I dare you to walk on my track with 324 triggers in it. I don’t think you’d want to

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

• Haha
Reactions: mike0chek
I get what you’re saying for sure, but I’m thinking you’d have to put way more than I’m doing for that theory to really be true. I dare you to walk on my track with 324 triggers in it. I don’t think you’d want to
Just send it! set up the pattern where if you hate it, you can remove two studs every other row down to 270 and if you still hate it remove two more the next row back down to 216 if needed. I think 270 would be plenty personally. I feel you could create a lot of scratch lines with 270.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Yup. Gonna send it. Going 6 per bar. I only need to drill holes in every other outer bar because I have some holes from previous patterns/numbers before.

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

Reactions: motohd66
Yes, 300 some studs is really really stupid. It's a horribly bad ides, but you'll learn the hard way from the sounds of it.

I've seen so many guys think more studs is better its crazy. All you'll do is sit and spin. Too many studs just ride on top of the ice. More studs does not mean more traction, but it does mean more weight and more track ballooning, along with more all important cords being cut reducing track strength.

Will be fun ride when the track come out of it from all those cords you cut!

There are much better ways to find traction with less studs. The less you can get by with is FAR better and faster!

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Guess I need to change the title from “Am I crazy” to “Am I stupid”.

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

• Helpful
Reactions: grover
Guess I need to change the title from “Am I crazy” to “Am I stupid”.

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports
You have a 137 under that sled? I would go 146 to help with traction. then the tallest studs you can physically run and go a 4-2-4 or 4-3-4 set up. after that its all launch control which is way out of my knowledge. I ran a cut down 137 on my old renegade and it hooked very well but its also way way less hp than your sled.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
You have a 137 under that sled? I would go 146 to help with traction. then the tallest studs you can physically run and go a 4-2-4 or 4-3-4 set up. after that its all launch control which is way out of my knowledge. I ran a cut down 137 on my old renegade and it hooked very well but its also way way less hp than your sled.
Thanks for the advice. I will be stretching the skid for next winter. Going to go out to 151”.
I started dabbling with launch compensations towards the end of last season. I was dialing out a bunch of timing for the first second or so after launch. Made some gains. Will continue this year too.

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

1" 137 Ripsaw with 144 1.325 triggers and 96 chisels with pro series double backers hook up pretty well. Most people I see that have issues with picks also have issues with when and how to use the throttle too........ I used pro series doubles on another higher powered sled with great results so I used them on this one last year with the same results with more power. I can't help but wonder what 240+ triggers would be like................ I may find out this year? ;)
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Wheel Vehicle

Discussion starter · #39 ·

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.