Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
To much rotating mass.
I’ve always found this comment interesting. Not necessarily incorrect, just interesting.
So what is the point of diminishing returns here? Any amount of studs adds rotating mass, right? So 300 studs on let’s say a 600 stocker? Sure. Way overkill. And I would agree it’s too much rotating mass for top speed runs/ radar runs of 130+ long pulls. But that’s not my goal. I’m looking to be as competitive in 300’ - 500’ drag races in trail trim. No slugged shocks. No straps. Etc.
Too much rotating mass? Too much for what…. I’m gonna find out! Lol

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

· Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Add a Lug cut to 1.3 and even better...
I was going to try that, but at least 1/3 of the tracks we run here are snow/ice crusty/mashed potatoes. I’m thinking I want my lug height in those situations.
I may be wrong. You may be right. I’m gonna try it!

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

· Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
wouldn't less studs give you better penetration, to many studs act like a bed of nails View attachment 2010004
I get what you’re saying for sure, but I’m thinking you’d have to put way more than I’m doing for that theory to really be true. I dare you to walk on my track with 324 triggers in it. I don’t think you’d want to

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

· Registered
1,440 Posts
I get what you’re saying for sure, but I’m thinking you’d have to put way more than I’m doing for that theory to really be true. I dare you to walk on my track with 324 triggers in it. I don’t think you’d want to
Just send it! set up the pattern where if you hate it, you can remove two studs every other row down to 270 and if you still hate it remove two more the next row back down to 216 if needed. I think 270 would be plenty personally. I feel you could create a lot of scratch lines with 270.

· Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yup. Gonna send it. Going 6 per bar. I only need to drill holes in every other outer bar because I have some holes from previous patterns/numbers before.

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

Reactions: motohd66

· Registered
3,429 Posts
Yes, 300 some studs is really really stupid. It's a horribly bad ides, but you'll learn the hard way from the sounds of it.

I've seen so many guys think more studs is better its crazy. All you'll do is sit and spin. Too many studs just ride on top of the ice. More studs does not mean more traction, but it does mean more weight and more track ballooning, along with more all important cords being cut reducing track strength.

Will be fun ride when the track come out of it from all those cords you cut!

There are much better ways to find traction with less studs. The less you can get by with is FAR better and faster!

· Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Guess I need to change the title from “Am I crazy” to “Am I stupid”.

2010 GSX 1200
MoTeC m400
Garrett GTX2867 Gen II
Precision Sports

• Helpful
Reactions: grover
21 - 31 of 31 Posts