Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys... i tried one of those alum weld kits, from peavy mart... lots of my buddies say it doesn't work... well, it does...

the key to it, is makeing sure its clean, and definatly gettin the parts hot enough... if you do, the rods flow like solder... just like it says.... but a propane torch won't do it.... I used a map gas/oxy torch... and get it hot.... even the vice i was holding the part in was hot....

sorry for the poor quality of the pics... and i don't have a before pic..

there was a large slag hole on the side of the engine case, and a hairline crack on the bottom..

OK this really bites... says unlimited file space, but when i try to load the pics... tells me they r too big.... guess to to artic chat and look at pics under both general, and vintage cats..

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
superjuice said:
hi guys... i tried one of those alum weld kits, from peavy mart... lots of my buddies say it doesn't work... well, it does...

the key to it, is makeing sure its clean, and definatly gettin the parts hot enough... if you do, the rods flow like solder... just like it says.... but a propane torch won't do it.... I used a map gas/oxy torch... and get it hot.... even the vice i was holding the part in was hot....

sorry for the poor quality of the pics... and i don't have a before pic..

there was a large slag hole on the side of the engine case, and a hairline crack on the bottom..

OK this really bites... says unlimited file space, but when i try to load the pics... tells me they r too big.... guess to to artic chat and look at pics under both general, and vintage cats..

[snapback]705068[/snapback]​
Thanks for the info, good to know. Yes, the pics are fuzzy but I get the point.
What is peavy mart?? Where else could you get a kit like this and about how much? Nice Job.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
peavy mart her in canada, is basically a farmers supply store.... i do belive you can get this at canadian tire too....i would imagine princess auto would carry it too....

your fav store, in the welding dept should have it... it is called...

aluminum pro, and is made in the states.....

http://www.durafix.com/ is a site i found for another product, that I have comeing... basically the same, but 3 xs the cash... but has good info on how to use this, and get it to work

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
Anytime you weld or braze aluminum, cleanliness is of utmost importance. Use a stainless wire brush (not steel) and brush the crap out of it.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
biggziff said:
Anytime you weld or braze aluminum, cleanliness is of utmost importance. Use a stainless wire brush (not steel) and brush the crap out of it.
[snapback]705941[/snapback]​
And one that's not used for anything else, you don't want to contaminate the aluminum ,Tig is the way to go

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we did think about tiggin it... actually was suppost to... just thought i'd try this... and yes, was clean... was actually clean enough, after grinding all the slag out, but brushed it anyways

1 - 8 of 8 Posts