Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a deal for a project 1980 Alpine 640 ER and have come up with a few questions. One of the things (two actually) that the machine will need is/are tracks. I have found 15" x 139" x 1.97" tracks available new which is supposedly the correct size for the 1980 Alpine 640. In 1980, however, the Alpine still had bogie suspension and the tracks I have found are designed for use with slides (they are fully clipped). The Camso 9011U as well as the Durasport .725 15" x 139" x 1.97" appear to work size wise but both are fully clipped.

My question is, can slide type clipped tracks be used on bogie suspension without any problems? I know Bogie tracks will not work on slides without adding clips but I have never heard of anyone going the other way. Or, if the clipped tracks will not work, do any of you have better advice on which tracks to use in the Alpine? Finally, given the significant improvement I have found by installing ice screws in my 2019 Expedition SWT, is it possible to add traction enhancements (studs or screws) to the Alpine?

Thanks for any advice

Doug M

·
Registered
211 Posts
I can comment on using a clipped track on a bogie sled (for Skidoo at least). I put a 15" x 114" 1.97 clipped track from a tin pan Blizzard on my 67' Oly a few years back. In the shop and on the stand, the clips ran between the bogies and didn't hit. When riding however, the track would twist side to side over terrain and the clips started chewing up the bogies. I zipped all the guides off with a cut-off wheel, which is acceptable on a cheap used track.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I found two nearly new tracks for my '76 Alpine. Unfortunately, they are installed in a '80 Alpine. I was worried that I would end up with a collection of these old machines once the word started to spread that I was interested in Alpines and I think my worries were correct.

Snowplow Vehicle Snow Motor vehicle Automotive tire

While the tracks are in pretty decent condition on this one, the rest of the machine is not quite as good as my '76. The '80 has been well used and is suffering from a missing fuel tank, weather cracked bogies, a crunchy recoil, suspected clutch issues, and a missing fuel tank. We are hoping to get it to fire over in the next couple of days. If it will fire, I think we will get it functional using some of the parts for the '76 and use it while I rebuild the '76 to as near as new condition as possible.

Doug M

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts