Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw some oil on the front of my 2005 800ho engine 700mi. . took off exhaust and felt the y-pipe bolts were finger loose . oil dripping out . so i put some loctite on them and turned them back in . my knuckles are now all cut up ! i had to cut a allen wrench down to be able to tighten them down "all 8" . not a fun job the night before trip during the superbowl. hope you guys catch them .

·
Registered
213 Posts
Friend of mine just had 4 of them fall out on a 04 600 SDI.

In regards to things loosening, is it common to have the chain tensioner allen bolt back out as well?

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
The Y-Pipe bolts coming loose are anything but new, had mine replace under warranty over 1000km ago and they havent come loose since.

As for the tensioner falling apart, havent heard that one yet

·
Registered
286 Posts
I replaced my pesky Y-bolts bolts with Hex head bolts. Still need a good lock washer "Rev Baron", but they are easier to get at with the Hex heads.

·
Registered
640 Posts
with reagards to bleeding hands.... All I have to say is get these (you can cheap out and just get the one you need for the manifold bolts):

All the good tool makers have them (SK, snapon, MAC) but not craftsman.

Blue locktite and lock-washers work for me on keeping those bolts in.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The BRP Police will not arrest you if you remove the "Y" pipe heat shield either, it makes it allot easier to get at the bolts.
Just unhook the springs and the shield is off, put it back on once everything is tight.

Check the Y pipe for cracks too (the seam & right where the two smaller pipes join to form the big one).....they are VERY prone to cracking just like the high quality carb boots.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HighSierra said:
with reagards to bleeding hands.... All I have to say is get these (you can cheap out and just get the one you need for the manifold bolts):

[snapback]706113[/snapback]​
where do you buy sk tools. i inherited a 3/4 socket set and i love them. can't seem to spend the money to buy snap-on or mac , i loose them befor i break them .shop tools for my employees and me are "craftsman" only. sears is down the street from my heavy equipement shop.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
PATRICKTES said:
HighSierra said:

[snapback]706113[/snapback]​
where do you buy sk tools. i inherited a 3/4 socket set and i love them. can't seem to spend the money to buy snap-on or mac , i loose them befor i break them .shop tools for my employees and me are "craftsman" only. sears is down the street from my heavy equipement shop.
[snapback]707875[/snapback]​
Actually like Baron pointed out the loose Y bolts have been a known problem for the last few years.. Also, the Snap On extended reach ball nose socket works better than these SK... You can order right from Snap On web site.. And i never use the heat shields as my Y pipe and main pipe are Jet Hot ceramic coated...

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
My Y pipe bolts are tight but my exhaust note has changed and I smell klotz when I hit it hard, I am affraid my Y pipe is cracked, or the joint at the can is a little off and that may be it, it is always too hot to adj it when I think of it. Not this weekend, elec start goes on and I will be right there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks rev-baron for the insight .my problem with snap-on is when you break a tool it takes a week to see your salesman and he always has to get the replacement shipped in . gotta love the smell of klotz.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts