Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
My $20,000 supercharged nytro burned up and exploded 2 rides after the alien motion battery caught fire almost 40 mins after loading up last weekend. I was driving back and looked I'm my review and seen flames coming out the side of my trailer,I pulled over and ran around the side to see the side panel had already burnt a hole in it and the battery was on fire. The efforts of me and people stopping couldn't put it out, it started burning the oil lines that are next to the battery and caught the oil on fire. I had to unhook the sled and push it off the trailer because it was catching it on fire that also had another sled on it. A minute or two later the gas tank exploded and the sled needless to say is a total loss.

I was going to remove it after that trip because when it got cold it was really hard to start the sled.
Idk if the thing got wet or what, I see motorcycle forums where they just start to heat up and melt for no reason, maybe just random idk. But stay away from these batteries. And if you had any problems with these please contact me at [email protected] maybe we can help each other get them guys to pay for some damages.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
You would have to have some kind of evidence that there was a defect in their batteries that could contribute to what happened.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Man that sucks, but good thing you got it off the trailer and didn't burn everything down. Hopefully you have insurance and can let them deal with this. Just did a quick google search on these batteries, and looks like you are not the only one, some motorcycle guys have burned down too. I was kinda sketchy about Lithium batteries, just due to the fact they can catch fire if not charged properly, or get discharged too much. Will be interesting to hear if Alien Batteries stands behind this in any way (guessing it will be on you for burden of proof though). Good luck.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Sorry to hear and see, good luck with the replacement process. Hope you get some satisfaction out of this deal.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Lithium batteries can be bad news if everything isn't just right.

Yes, the same technology is in the hover boards too.

Google LiPo fires to see what can happen. LiPo is lithium polymer, a type of lithium battery chemistry.

Often a bad or wrong charger, over charge, over discharge, a break in the cover that can allow oxygen in, and other things can cause these fires.

I always wonder how a charging system designed for lead acid battery or gell cell could safely be used on a lithium battery that needs an entirely different methods of charge would be safe.

I'm surprised that there are not more fires as this technology is used in most laptops, tablets and cell phones, but there is a lot more protection built into those devices to protect against issues.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Is this the same battery that is used in these hover boards that are burning up?
Yes, These lithium batteries are whats causing the hover boards to catch fire. Also beware-- They're also used in those micro jumpers everybody's starting to use. I don't trust them, I'll go the old fashion way, and use a set of jumper cables. would hate to have one of those catch fire in my pocket! Of course this is Only My Opinion. (got to say that these days so you don't get sued)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I worked with LiPo batteries at a former job. Oxygen and Lithium when mixed, does not end well. The only way to put out a lithium battery fire is to completely smother the battery. We used to keep pails of sand to bury them in if it happened. A fire extinguisher will put it out for a few seconds but it will start back up again and again until all the lithium is gone.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I worked with LiPo batteries at a former job. Oxygen and Lithium when mixed, does not end well. The only way to put out a lithium battery fire is to completely smother the battery. We used to keep pails of sand to bury them in if it happened. A fire extinguisher will put it out for a few seconds but it will start back up again and again until all the lithium is gone.
Oxygen and Lithium--- there you've got two of the three ingredients to start a fire. Just need the heat source. Is lithium and oxygenator? If so it makes it's own heat, so there you go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oxygen and Lithium--- there you've got two of the three ingredients to start a fire. Just need the heat source.
Once the lithium hits the oxygen it's over. You don't need a heat source or flame. Had it happen once while charging a damaged battery. The battery was spitting tiny balls of flame like a fountain. The technician pulled the charger, we got the battery in a metal trash can and we hit it with the fire extinguisher. Fire went out for about 15 seconds and erupted again. Hit with the fire extinguisher again and it went out again for about 15 seconds. Brought the trash can out side when if flared up and let it burn down to a puddle.

When it was all done, the remains were about 1/10th the size of the original battery.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Once the lithium hits the oxygen it's over. You don't need a heat source or flame. Had it happen once while charging a damaged battery. The battery was spitting tiny balls of flame like a fountain. The technician pulled the charger, we got the battery in a metal trash can and we hit it with the fire extinguisher. Fire went out for about 15 seconds and erupted again. Hit with the fire extinguisher again and it went out again for about 15 seconds. Brought the trash can out side when if flared up and let it burn down to a puddle.

When it was all done, the remains were about 1/10th the size of the original battery.
Wow--- These things are dangerous! I found this:

Chemical dangers: Heating may cause violent combustion or explosion. The substance may spontaneously ignite on contact with air when finely dispersed. Upon heating, toxic fumes are formed. Reacts violently with strong oxidants, acids and many compounds (hydrocarbons, halogens, halons, concrete, sand and asbestos) causing fire and explosion hazard. Reacts violently with water, forming highly flammable hydrogen gas and corrosive fumes of lithium hydroxide.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If anyone is running one of these batteries I would strongly recommend checking the battery case for swelling often. It's the first sign that there may be a problem internally. If I remember right, the only way to make them inert was to submerge them completely in salt water (I don't know this for a fact, it is only what I had heard off hand).

The batteries we used were designed to be able to take an impact and be recharged often. If they were taken down to a certain charge level, they were to be taken out of service. If they were swollen, they were to be taken out of service.

If it were my money, based on my experience with them and now hearing about the OP's experience, I would probably just buy a regular lead acid or AGM battery and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If anyone is running one of these batteries I would strongly recommend checking the battery case for swelling often. It's the first sign that there may be a problem internally. If I remember right, the only way to make them inert was to submerge them completely in salt water (I don't know this for a fact, it is only what I had heard off hand).

The batteries we used were designed to be able to take an impact and be recharged often. If they were taken down to a certain charge level, they were to be taken out of service. If they were swollen, they were to be taken out of service.

If it were my money, based on my experience with them and now hearing about the OP's experience, I would probably just buy a regular lead acid or AGM battery and call it a day.
X2

·
Registered
244 Posts
More china crap seemingly sent over here to kill us.(Remember the poison children's toys and poison pet food).

Is it true that the process to make those batteries is so toxic that, given our environmental regulations in U.S., it would not be feasible to construct them here?

The china people just dump the toxic waste into the rivers and oceans.

Best of luck to the OP with resolving this. Glad that no people or any other property was damaged.

Could you imagine if that thing was parked in your attached garage and lit off like that?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
More china crap seemingly sent over here to kill us.(Remember the poison children's toys and poison pet food).

Is it true that the process to make those batteries is so toxic that, given our environmental regulations in U.S., it would not be feasible to construct them here?

The china people just dump the toxic waste into the rivers and oceans.

Best of luck to the OP with resolving this. Glad that no people or any other property was damaged.

Could you imagine if that thing was parked in your attached garage and lit off like that?
I would hate to think!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts