Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're making the 14 hour run to Albany in 10 days. Who's been there and is it going to be worth it?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Albany is a good place to stay. Its lower so it may be warmer but all the riding is up. Snowy lodge and the widowmaker arnt to far away. Albany lodge is a great looking place to stay - been there but didn't overnite tho. Depends on the amount of snow in the snowies

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. We're all trail riders so that's mostly what we're looking for. Looks like we'll stay at Albany Lodge. Anything I need to do to my 1200 to make it run well? Never been out west on sleds.

The "hood's open!" comment is too funny.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've stayed in Albany a few times the past few years. The lodge sits at 8300' but you spend most of the time riding at 10,000' and above. It's a great place for first timers or us flat landers from back east that like to play out west in the mountains without trying to kill ourselves. It's pretty safe as far a avalanches go compared to a lot of places out there I feel. The snow should be set up pretty good so you should be able to play off trail some without getting stuck to much. Don't let there web cam fool you, there won't be much snow at the lodge but as you get up the trail a mile or so the snow will start to get deeper and deeper. Enjoy your trip, bring shovels and tow ropes and take lots of pictures! Your going to have a trip of a lifetime I bet being it's going to be your first trip out there. I was lucky enough to take my 13 year old son out there back in late Jan this year and he loved it! He can't wait to get back out there next year, heck, a group of us are even planning a side x side/dirt bike trip out there in July. We really like that area if you can't tell. Not sure about your 1200 clutch but maybe click up some to gain back some of your RPM's your going to lose.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Clicking up makes sense. Will post pics.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
If you don't mind being down on performance (you will anyway due to elevation), but clicking up will only get you half way there for RPM. I'd guess you will get 7000RPM max. It really doesn't take that much to clutch it correctly for altitude and makes the long trip and $ worth it if your sled is running the best it can.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Looking into that now. I have no clutch tools however so checking with friends who may. Found this chart on the local dealers site.

Also, a buddy has clutch tools for his 2015 Polaris. Will they work on my TRA?

0053_zpsrgyq0t5w.jpg

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
No. Those tools won't work so I made some with what's in my garage.

Just got back and had a great time. 2-3 feet, 2 days prior and rode the trails in a storm the last morning. Off trail up top was a hoot.

As for clutching, I did the work mentioned in the chart and spun 8400 and the clutches were smokin' hot on the first rip. Clicked back to 3 from 5 and was happy leaving it at 8000 for the week.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Here you go...

Thousands of acres of off trail riding up top. Roughly 10k feet.

20160321_103527_zpsrbvu9pov.jpg

That's one stuck ProR. Todd was a constant source of entertainment.

20160321_144713_zpscus93aqm.jpg

A local came by and helped out. He parked his Summit next to Todd,(as only mountain guys can do) dug him out, and sent him on his way. Todd fell off his sled and it tumbled a hundred yards before coming to rest up side down.

20160321_145627_zpsz3qpup5j.jpg

Slightly easier off trail climbs.

20160321_140003_zpspydcxgna.jpg

Still results in Todd being skis-up.

20160321_140834_zps9cq3jkkg.jpg

The old XR did very well even with 5.7's and a 1.25 track. Only stuck once in deep stuff with flat light. It's a pig to dig out though.

20160322_132046_zpsa5b9aisr.jpg

·
Registered
588 Posts
Maybe a little lesson can be learned from that pic of Todd on the hill.

That is an avalanche area. Look at the tree in the right of the pic. Those lower branches do not get removed by bugs eating them. They have been removed by sliding snow.

With that in mind, whoever is on the hill below Todd should never have been on the hill at the same time. One person on the hill, especially in that terrain is a must follow rule. I know everyone thinks they should help but If someone gets stuck, they are on their own to dig themselves out.

And, I noticed from the other pics that no one has any avalanche gear. The Snowies have many places you can safely ride without any, but that hill is not one of them. If the hill slid, what would you do?

Be safe.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Was out at Albany this year, and i loved the area.. Was told that was the most snow they had had in years! hopefully it keeps it up!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For those going, or thinking about it...

Albany Lodge: Comfortable; clean; satisfactory. Not 5 star but likely as good as it gets on the hill. Only 1 unit has 2 baths so if you need that, book early. Only place we found with rooms, gas, rentals, bar and grill, trail passes. Todd in the kitchen was a good guy and Kristen made a decent bloody. You pay double for gas on the mountain so bring fuel and duct tape for broken windshields.

Trails: Groomed nightly; wide, like a freeway; roughly 350 miles of groomed and half that of ungroomed; all marked pretty well.

Off trail: Loads of off trail riding through trees, rocks and over small frozen lakes. Countless off trail areas along the wide trails as well as up top. Exploring the top area at the base of the peaks/Widow Maker was first rate.

Great trails for the family and plenty of off trail for the more adventurous. We rode 3 days and saw most of it. Not much for available supplies on the hill so if you need it, bring it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts