Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey in June I am coming to AK part of the Air Force and I will be stationed at Elmendorf AFB. Can anyone provide me some info on where and when I can ride close to that area stuff like that where can I rent ski doo sleds anything like that. I sold my 2000 Form Z 700 before I came in the AF so I have no sled now. Any information would be awesome I need to start trying to figure out on how I can get back on a sled. Thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you just want to ride the cheapest route is to rent them from Fort Richardson which is attached to Elmedorf. They have a decent selection of sleds and do a good job maintaining them. Be prepared to pay for any damages as they do not have rental insurance!

If you want to buy a sled then get a new one or start watching craigslist to get an idea of used prices and whats available up here.

Good luck!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Ft Rich. has some trails and there is some riding on Elmendorf but i wouldnt call it "good". it is a good place to test your sled out and see how it is running before you drive anywhere. there are also allot of trails around Big Lake and wasilla but i have never ridden on those. to me the "best" trails are around Petersville and Eureka, both are about a 120 miles from base. Here is a link to the trails around petersville.

http://www.curryridgeriders.com/Maps%20And%20Tracks.htm

this link is for the anchorage snowmobile club my friend is a member and they do allot of trail rides.

http://www.anchoragesnowmobileclub.com/

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
South of anchorage has good riding that is closer than pvill or eureka. Turnagain, placer, Johnson pass are an hour away.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you are looking for trails I suspect you do not having riding experience in mountains and would highly suggest you stay away from areas south of Anchorage till you get together with some experienced riders and head that way. South of Anchorage has a lot of steep mountains and valleys that will let you quickly get in over your head.

If you want trails follow racnocs advice, all those areas have extensive trail systems and some are even groomed.

Eureka and Lake Louise have some well groomed trails that do not seem to get as bumpy as the ones in Petersville.

I like them all but I only use the trails to get where I want I want to go and then start boondocking.

Try looking up Eureka Lodge or Lake Louise snowmachine club they both should have maps of their trails. Also Maclaren Lodge off the Denali Highway and Alpine Creek Lodge up there offer some great riding.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay thanks for the info. And yes never rode mts at all and I am trying to figure out what kind of sled to get for myself once I get the money. Always rode in VT so always trail riding. Can't wait to get out there and see the sites and see what it is like to ride the trails and also halibut fish too. I from Rhode Island so I offshore fish all the time. I want to fish Alaska should be nice. Thanks for any help.

Chris

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you are coming in June you'll be too late, all the trails will be dirt by then - and the mountains will be inaccessible by then too.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
If you don't mind me asking what is a slope job?

Chris
usually has to do with the oil fields that are on the North Slope(the tippy top of the state).Guys work 2 weeks on 2 off or 4 and 2 off or whatever

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay thanks for the response. Yup I will be out there for 3 years so hopefully maybe I can find a place to live for cheap and stuff like that. I want to ride so bad since I sold my sled. Thanks for all the help on where to ride.

Chris

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Okay thanks for the response. Yup I will be out there for 3 years so hopefully maybe I can find a place to live for cheap and stuff like that. I want to ride so bad since I sold my sled. Thanks for all the help on where to ride.

Chris
check out Back Country Rebels website.Go to the Buddy Up Thread.I think theres a few military guys on there and lots of others.I'd suggest Petersville area if your not exp at the steep n deep.BCR also has a sticky w riding areas and directions.Lots of guys over there ride A LOT.They are still hitting Whittier as of yesterday.Whittier is steep,glaciers and epic riding but dangerous from what I hear.Haven 't been there yet.

·
Registered
300 Posts
usually has to do with the oil fields that are on the North Slope(the tippy top of the state).Guys work 2 weeks on 2 off or 4 and 2 off or whatever
That's where Iron Dog and a majority of the people work that post anything about riding in the mid-week...the rest of us are stuck with week ends

and holidays....Only mildly b*tching though.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How are the registration fees and stuff like that? I know VT is wicked expensive. Registration fees, insurance, trail maintenance stickers etc. And how is the grooming? I know you guys run the mts and pow but if I want some trails how are they? Thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
It's Alaska. $10 dollar snomo registration and spend the rest on gas money.

Mark

·
Registered
568 Posts
How are the registration fees and stuff like that? I know VT is wicked expensive. Registration fees, insurance, trail maintenance stickers etc. And how is the grooming? I know you guys run the mts and pow but if I want some trails how are they? Thanks.

Chris
The registration fee covers grooming and trail maintenance and or you can make donations as well.

If you want groomed trails like you are used to I suggest Lake Louise and Maclaren they are wide smooth and well marked. I understand some in the Wilow/Trapper Creek area are well groomed as well. Most of the other areas with groomers get wind and a lots of traffic that makes them bumpy in a short time.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey thanks for the website that is a huge help actually and I will be most definitely looking into this. Thanks again. Now all I need to do is buy myself a sled, but that is going to have to wait for a little. Thanks everybody for all the help. Any other suggestions just pm me and let me know. I should be arriving to Elmendorf AK around mid June.

Chris

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey thanks for the website that is a huge help actually and I will be most definitely looking into this. Thanks again. Now all I need to do is buy myself a sled, but that is going to have to wait for a little. Thanks everybody for all the help. Any other suggestions just pm me and let me know. I should be arriving to Elmendorf AK around mid June.

Chris
Join the Anchorage snowmobile club. Keeps your trails and areas open. Even if you dont own a sled. Go to the meetings and get involved. Now is the time for trail clearing and meeting new riders. As far as a sled, the good thing with the club is that there are alot of different brands of sleds and many will let you take them out on the ride and swap out with them. No brand is the same and everybody has different preferences. Hell, I own all four manufacturers right now.

As far as sled, get one at least with a 144" track. Ride them all, you pick. Dont go smaller because in the future,(when you become good at mountain riding, right before the time you have to PCS) you will have wished you did.

Believe me, I went short track at first when I first came up here. Sold that sled pretty quick. If people think they can get all the places on a 120ish track as I can on a 162, i welcome them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts