Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all Alaskans...

I'm thinking of running in the Alyeska Hillclimb this spring, and if I doo, it would be my first time competing in anything with a sled, even though I've grown up riding.

Couple questions. First, according to the Motor Musher's website, you have to be a member to ride? I didn't think this was the case.

Also - I never heard of guys putting studs on mountain sleds, but I would imagine that on a hill like Alyeska, after 30 sleds have torn it up, parts of the route would be very icy and studs might help. I didn't see them to be illegal in the rule book - any feedback?

Also, what's the line between an "improved" sled and a "modified" sled?

I know, I know, it's just a little hillclimb and really no big deal, I'm just anal about preparation.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
No studs allowed at Alyeska.

I did it a few years ago. It was fun, but I haven't done it since. Too much money when Turnagain Pass is ten minutes down the road and free. You can run anywhere you want there.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
therealsnowdog said:
No studs allowed at Alyeska.

I did it a few years ago. It was fun, but I haven't done it since. Too much money when Turnagain Pass is ten minutes down the road and free. You can run anywhere you want there.

[snapback]716931[/snapback]​
True - $70+ for one run up the hill is a reason NOT to. Especially if you've got Nick for a rid'n partner... lol.

When you did run it, how long was your track? I've just got a 144, and I doubt I'd really have all that great of a time...

Thx!

Btw, it's Lost Lake this week for me!!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
therealsnowdog is correct. Neither of the Alyeska events Sno-x or Hill climb are studs allowed.
If you don't know AMMC web site is; ammcracing.com

A few years ago there was a single race membership available. You can email them (from the link above) and ask if that is still the case. You will still need to review the rules as your sled will need to meet certain requirements (teather, snow flap, head & tail lights taped, blah blah blah) Also you will be required to wear protective equipment (tek vest, knee pads)

Anyway good luck and hope to see you there.
05SDI (AMMC #178)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I ran it with a 136. There are 121s that run it in the smaller classes. The bottom gets pretty icy after about two runs. I think it was 50 bucks total for me to do it. The Valdez climb was much more fun, but I have not done it in years either. Too many other things to do.

Lost Lake was pretty good. The snow was pretty wet and these cold nights may stiffen up the snow pack a lot. It rained all the way to the top on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
05SDI said:
therealsnowdog is correct. Neither of the Alyeska events Sno-x or Hill climb are studs allowed.
If you don't know AMMC web site is; ammcracing.com

A few years ago there was a single race membership available. You can email them (from the link above) and ask if that is still the case. You will still need to review the rules as your sled will need to meet certain requirements (teather, snow flap, head & tail lights taped, blah blah blah) Also you will be required to wear protective equipment (tek vest, knee pads)

Anyway good luck and hope to see you there.
05SDI (AMMC #178)
[snapback]716964[/snapback]​
When I did it, the stock classes only needed the pads and a tether. As long as you had the stock snow flap, they would let it fly. Of course there were not many people racing and the rules seemed to be a little more relaxed then.

I think it cost me 50 bucks. 20 for the one race membership and 30 for each class of race. It was a long time ago and the brain cells that held that info are long gone by now...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts