Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in about 4 separate incidences last season, I had the lower panel front have the front hinge pop free, and the panel would slap me in the knee, usually when cruising at 60 mph for no apparent reason.

It hadn't happened yet this much abbreviated season until today. When on about a 190 mile trail trip, about 3 miles from home, it happened again. I was probably only up to about 40 mph, and this time it didn't just slap me in the knee, this time the lower an the upper just blew right off. I found the rubber piece on the trail that connects the two. the dzus-like fastener remained attach to the sled and the lower panel just ripped free.

Am I the only one with these problems? now both my lower body panels are messed up, and don't have the slightest clue how to prevent this crap from continuing to happen.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone here having the side panel pop loose on the expys groo, not saying they don't, i'll ask around;

·
Registered
319 Posts
in about 4 separate incidences last season, I had the lower panel front have the front hinge pop free, and the panel would slap me in the knee, usually when cruising at 60 mph for no apparent reason.

It hadn't happened yet this much abbreviated season until today. When on about a 190 mile trail trip, about 3 miles from home, it happened again. I was probably only up to about 40 mph, and this time it didn't just slap me in the knee, this time the lower an the upper just blew right off. I found the rubber piece on the trail that connects the two. the dzus-like fastener remained attach to the sled and the lower panel just ripped free.

Am I the only one with these problems? now both my lower body panels are messed up, and don't have the slightest clue how to prevent this crap from continuing to happen.
I wondered about your problem, and then I got fiddling with my gauges - my machine tells me that my average speed is 16 km/hr, or about 10 mph. I guess we are using the utility-end of these machines more than the trail end! We did get on the lake today, but the crust was treacherous - the SWT broke through on one side, and it ended with the machine on its side. So we go slow. I'll keep an eye for this problem with the Expy groo.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have been on my sled for near 5000kms now and not once have the panels come open. I cant rcall the first time you mentioned it, but have these two times happened since you damaged your bumper?

·
Registered
677 Posts

did 11000 kms on the 2011 model and now have about 7k on the 14 and never had that problem.. can't see how they can open up if the panel locking system is secured.. hate all the panels but they seemed to stay in place at least for me

·
Registered
3,534 Posts

I'd never heard of this happening, until it happened to me today as I was going down the trail.

Of course, it happened to me maybe 15kms after this...

04-Muskrat%252520Falls%252520004.JPG

while trying to make a trail between two lakes I snapped off a tree and the stump punched between the panel and the body.

On mine, the plastic eye that the panel fits into broke, but the reason the panel came offf a few minutes later was that I hadn't installed it correctly. When it came lose the second time I was on a trail with lots of room, and had no trouble installing it correctly. I had no more troubles the rest of the day.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
did 11000 kms on the 2011 model and now have about 7k on the 14 and never had that problem.. can't see how they can open up if the panel locking system is secured.. hate all the panels but they seemed to stay in place at least for me
I agree, I hate the jigsaw puzzle, but once together correctly they seem pretty solid.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I have been on my sled for near 5000kms now and not once have the panels come open. I cant rcall the first time you mentioned it, but have these two times happened since you damaged your bumper?
I damaged the bumper pretty early on, but the first time was before then. I had never even opened the panels before the first time I had a shin whacker. I belive the second was before then as well.

I did notice the tab over the hinge pop free today after going through some light brush today,but no tree branches shoved between there. That strikes me as an odd thing to happen as well.

ps. try installing a clutch side panel on a moonless cloudy night with no flashlight.....

I think the side panel lifts, unlocking the hinge, then that lets more air in. Originally, it would just swing back, hinging on the rear tabs/ screws, but now that it has happened several times, those rear anchors and the panels themselves are weakened.

The last time it happened last season it ripped the plastic in the top outer corner as it folded back on itself. The most recent as I mentioned, it ripped out the hole with the screw, sent the top panel flying as well, and launched the plastic latch between the two.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wondered about your problem, and then I got fiddling with my gauges - my machine tells me that my average speed is 16 km/hr, or about 10 mph. I guess we are using the utility-end of these machines more than the trail end! We did get on the lake today, but the crust was treacherous - the SWT broke through on one side, and it ended with the machine on its side. So we go slow. I'll keep an eye for this problem with the Expy groo.
No doubt, I got the 1200 for a reason. More than half the time I am lifting the skis and hanging with the short trackers. On the other hand, I did actually skid some logs with it today. Maybe 3 small pick-ups worth of dead tamarack out of a swampy area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts