Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you see the bubbling on the surface of the voltage regulator can you be pretty much assured that it has been fried? One can only assume that it got hot. I wonder if it had to do with bad after market heated hand grips? Is there a way this regulator can be tested?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Did it come to you like that? Not impossible that it was made that way.

You could test it on a running motor with a digital multi meter.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
When you see the bubbling on the surface of the voltage regulator can you be pretty much assured that it has been fried? One can only assume that it got hot. I wonder if it had to do with bad after market heated hand grips? Is there a way this regulator can be tested?
How to Test Voltage Regulator Rectifiers for Motorcycle, ATV, UTV, Snowmobile & Powersports Engines.

Idiot's Guide to Regulator Rectifier Test | SV650

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did it come to you like that? Not impossible that it was made that way.

You could test it on a running motor with a digital multi meter.
Hey thanks for the reply.....I really don't think I received the regulator like that, with that bubbly area. I also didn't think to test it before I removed it. My headlight bulb blew out late last year and I just had it happen again the other day when I took the sled for a quick spin. Pretty sure my battery wasn't charging all last year so with the combination of those two symptoms I just assumed that the regulator was bad. The one I just removed (Kimpex I thnk?) was installed about 15? years ago when the original unit went bad. I had a spare SPI regulator on the shelf so I went ahead and swapped it out. I have yet to try everything out, I need to get the battery reinstalled. I'm hoping its still good, its holding about 12.5 Volts. The battery got pretty neglected the last couple years. I only rode a total of 80 miles all last year on three different sleds so very little use. This battery hasn't had a serious charging in over a year. :eek:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
That almost looks like something external hit it, maybe a piece of the belt? Or maybe a stick?
Hi Bear, I don't think anything hit the regulator but as you know, anything is possible. I was looking over my records and I have only put about 300 miles on this Citation since 2014. The bellypan was clean on the inside with the exception of the typical oil/belt dust rust-preventative coating. The regulator is pretty protected way down there. Got me thinking I need to spend a little time sprucing up the old girl. Also got me thinking that perhaps the regulator had a bad ground. It was a three-wire design therefore requiring the regulator body to form a sufficient ground to the chassis. The new unit is a four-wire version.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts