Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new 2010 Gade 600 E-tec Adrenaline. Never have been one for aftermarket skis but several of my Cat friends have USI skis and like them very much. I thought I may try something different this year. I ride mainly on-trail cross country trips. Plan on doing a little powder riding in UP MI this year. Any thoughts on A/M skis?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I like slydog powderhounds

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
75,277 Posts
X3

But, those Curve XS's have been reported to be even better.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For my 2009 MXz Adr 800R I put the stock carbides on the outside and stud boy 6" carbides in the center. This was done with 126 Woody's studs. Wasn't sure if the USI skis would be any better? Don't want to spend $400 if I don't get much of a performance gain.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
i have never run usi skis. my feeling with the older skis was to get rid of them and run aftermarkets. now everyone tells me to run the stockers. i was planning on going with powder hounds on my back country as i like them off trail. i'm on the fence just like you.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
It doesn't hurt a thing to run powder skis on the trail. I don't like the pilots as they are too stiff. I like a flexible ski; thus I'm happy with powder hounds.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
It will not hurt but why spend the money on them? The trail ski is cheaper and will give similar results.
If your never going to venture off trail then I agree; stay with the stock skis.
Skiseedoo says that he will go off trail on occasion; so it makes sense to me to run a powder ski which is benefit in the pow and no detriment on the trail.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Ahhhhhh.... the Great Ski Debate.Thru the years I 've tried most all aftermarket skis. With the exception of the Curves almost bought a set for a Western trip last season, but pulled back at the last moment.
This is my take, all aftermarket skis will benifit you in "some" type of snow condition, and along with that benifit, they may or may not be as good other skis in different snow conditions. I currently have a set of 6.9's on my Renegade. They work pretty well in most conditions (IMO), however as metioned above, they are on the stiff side for sure. I had a set of Powderhounds on my 06' Attak, they made that sled steer MUCH lighter in hardpacked snow and on tight-snow trails. I've read somewhere on this site that someone thought that they made their Renegade steer heavier on hard pack?????? Personally I like a softer more flexable ski such as the PowderHound, they will absorb energy that will not reach your handlebars. I may try out a set of Hounds this season....unless I hear some more really great feedback on the Curves (installed on a Gade). The Curves are a pretty pricey package, if they perform with honors, they would be worth the money. I just haven't heard alot of real world reports on them yet.
My advise to you is read all the reveiws that you can, but take each with a grain of salt. You'll have to make the decision on your own....are ya feelin' lucky?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am coming off of a Nytro xtx and had powderhounds, curve, yamaha stock with snowtracker carbides and finally ended up with a set of pilot 5.7 and bergstrom triples on the center and the stockers on the outside. It was pretty easy after the doo ski fixed my cornering on my Yamaha and the dealer said a good price for the new Apex with eps was 14000 to just go buy a doo and the rest is history. I always like the ski threads because until you ride with a
stock Yamahammer ski, you don't know how good you got it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I always like the ski threads because until you ride with a
stock Yamahammer ski, you don't know how good you got it.
Amen. Still would like to try some Slydogs on my Gade. I was just checking them out as a matter of fact. I had slydog trails on a viper and they were great, was wondering if they would be the same on my Gade?

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Just bought a new 2010 Gade 600 E-tec Adrenaline. Never have been one for aftermarket skis but several of my Cat friends have USI skis and like them very much. I thought I may try something different this year. I ride mainly on-trail cross country trips. Plan on doing a little powder riding in UP MI this year. Any thoughts on A/M skis?
I have some USI's for sale. Very good condition. Send me a PM if you are interested

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have a gade with curves on it, and next sled i buy will get curves as well, when i put them on the first time it was like riding a different sled, ive been in dep pow to hard trail to river bottoms and they work in all conditions. friends that i ride with all have summits with the 6.9 and they seem to like my skis as well. the one sled that a friend has with 6.9 has an outer carbide on set and that seems to help those skis a lot if you r having to take trails much. all in all curves r worth the money

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I can?t think of a worse ski verus the Pilot. They are horrible and do things mediocre at best.

I would do a search on CA ADX Pros. A very popular ski derived from their race ski. It is an aggressive ski with a nice keal that keeps you on the trail. There is no pushing with these skis. Single carbide so they are cheap to replace, none of this 100+ bucks to replace carbides. The skis are amazing on the trails and handle everything perfectly. They are also good off trail and get decent floatation compared to the stockers.
You can F with your pilots, the carbides by moving one to this side and that side and getting longer this and short that and F?in with your ski pressure all the time, but if you want to do it right and get the best for your sled swap out those skis. Keep you stock ones in a box and when you trade or sell your sled you can put the stockers back on and use you aftermarkets on all your sleds until they wear out.

I have had these on my last 2 gades and they are amazing. I would do some research on these and if you decide to order, Kyle at KJ motorsports is always top notch on ski deals.

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
75,277 Posts
I think I was the one who said they thought the slydog steered heavy on hardpack. But, that being said I believe it had more to do with setup and the 16x137x1.75 track being a bit "pushy" there.

At low speeds I had to set it at a lot of front shock pressure just to leave my yard as my trail out is very tight and windy and I didn't want to have to cut any more hard wood than I did just to make the trail.

Once on a groomed trail and cruising it did get better but even there off throttle it could turn into a bear real quick. That was on a stock suspension with sacked rear coils. This year with all new springs, shocks and revalving I believe those same skis with be a huge asset.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts