Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I haven't run an aftermarket silencer on one of my sleds since 2005, back then I had a MBRP Trail can on my sled. I ride trails in NNY and got tired of getting hassled at every check point that I went thru. So Ive been running all stock exhaust since.

Fast forward to 2020, I have seen and heard a lot of sleds with silencers on them that at part throttle and idle, they are quiet as stock, but up over 1/2 throttle, the can opens up and barks at you. I just spent a day riding with a buddy that has a 2018 MXZ XRs850 and he has one of those new style silencers, and the DEC officers, never even looked at his sled, he idles thru the check points quietly with no hassle.

Any one have recommendations? I would like to drive thru checkpoints and by neighbors homes quietly, but when I put it to the bar, I want a nice aggressive sound when I open it up.

This will be for a 2009 500ss. I dont want to shell out 250-350 and get hassled. Im not a kid that just want to make noise, just want a nice performance sound.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Any will do but just make sure it’s a trail can, I have a slip trail can on my 800 never had an issue. There all 200+ new you can’t get past that but just look for a used trail can and you’ll be alright

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got a GGB Trail can on my 600 carb. I think its sounds amazing. At idol its a deep rumble, not tinny like a jaws or MBRP. So when I pull up to a gas station, I dont sound like I am ripping a buck 20 on the trails while i try to pull up to the gas bar. LOL. A WOT it deffintly rips and I like the back fire sound it make when you release from WOT. Tough to explain the sound. I Love it. Havnt had an issues at check points yet

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why so negative. He said he didn’t want to be obnoxious and have a super loud can he just wants some rumble. Your probably the guy that has 500hp car with 1.5 inch exhaust gtfo go golf or somthing

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't know why the fascination with the sound of a sled. That is one thing I haven't figured out. Then on top of it, people buy the quietest helmets and wear earplugs to boot. Something just ain't right. Had a couple XCR 800s back in the day. Cool, sure. Cool enough to go back? Nope. Also, my 4 stroke moto bike can be heard for over a mile when it's barking along. Any wonder why they don't get trail access to ATV trails? Luckily, I have a track to ride about 1/2 mile from the nearest road nestled between farm fields.

If my sled sounds like a Model T or an F16, I just want it to run right, and get me home. I can tell each sled that has a can on it and I'm about 300 yards from the trail, so the "close house" theory is a bunch of crap. Is my house considered too close to the trail or far enough away that I should not be bothered by the "bark" and "performance sound"? One persons interpretation may not be the same as yours. 100s of sleds go by every weekend.

In fact, my sled came with a really loud can, sold it. Then had another given to me. It's Ok at best. Not as loud as the first, but still has that loud powerband that I don't need. Now it's in a pile of parts. Back to stock. I'm all for good performance, but a can does little performance improvement, but it will save about a dozen pounds. That's about 1.5 gallons of gas worth of weight. ???? Meh.

I would support a can that was quieter and lighter than stock, or out in the backcountry where you May scare a moose or other critters, but people are not around for many many miles. Pretty simple. In fact, I've never actually posted my 2 cents about cans on any site.

And the comparison to loud vehicles has to stop. Us sledders do not have strength in numbers like Harley or the automotive industry. We simply cannot shape the political spectrum in our favor to have no sound requirements. In fact, it's going the other way and we should probably stay one step ahead of it.

Turned out my reply got a bit long winded. Sorry 'bout that. This is about as clean as I can write about exhaust issues without singling people out or being derogatory. To each their own until your own affects my own, then there becomes the issue. I'm also well aware the arguments from a complete stranger don't mean much, but I give some points to at least think about.
Alright, where's my backpack, I'm going for a ride. ????

·
Registered
68 Posts
(Most) trail cans are same decibels as stock if not less. A mountain can for sure stupid obnoxious no need. My stock can is actually louder than my slp trail can and heavier. Idk why aftermarket gets put in the mix everyone looses there mind

·
Registered
28 Posts
^^^^ You posers should just get out of snowmobiling.Your a cancer to the great sport.
Hey buddy! I said I like the sound. I didnt say it was loud. My GGB can has the same decibles as my stock exhaust. Thats what the OP asked us about. So shut up and finish that bottle of whisers, you keyboard hero ragging alcoholic. I bet this is you..
8e7ead860eda03fcde3bf5ac3a29b615.jpg

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Sno-Stuff Rumbel Pack for my 600 carb
I had one of these on my 800 and took it off after 2 or so seasons as it got unbearably loud..please dont buy that one. My son has one on a 600carb and it's doing the same thing..stupid loud waste of $

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Hey buddy! I said I like the sound. I didnt say it was loud. My GGB can has the same decibles as my stock exhaust. Thats what the OP asked us about. So shut up and finish that bottle of whisers, you keyboard hero ragging alcoholic. I bet this is you..
8e7ead860eda03fcde3bf5ac3a29b615.jpg

So your can is the same noise level as a stock muffler? Here's what you should do. Broker a deal between Brp and GGB. Brp could lay-off some engineers and close they're million dollar sound lab. You would have enough money then to get out of your parents place and finish high school with a nice 850 and a good car. Note: study science, physics math.Then in your free time, study the internal combustion engine and expansion chamber design. And I'm not your buddy, I don't drive a Ford, I don't drink alcohol and I have a nice sled trailer. Think about ear plugs and a stock muffler. Some day you'll be really happy you did.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So your can is the same noise level as a stock muffler? Here's what you should do. Broker a deal between Brp and GGB. Brp could lay-off some engineers and close they're million dollar sound lab. You would have enough money then to get out of your parents place and finish high school with a nice 850 and a good car. Note: study science, physics math.Then in your free time, study the internal combustion engine and expansion chamber design. And I'm not your buddy, I don't drive a Ford, I don't drink alcohol and I have a nice sled trailer. Think about ear plugs and a stock muffler. Some day you'll be really happy you did.
Good advice Pal. Did it take you 25 minutes to come up with that response? I bet it took 15 to type it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I DIDN'T POST IT SO I CAN GET PEOPLE GIVING THEIR OPINIONS ABOUT USING ANYTHING PUT A STOCK EXHAUST AND GUYS LIKE ME ARE RUINING THE SPORT. I'M NOT A 20 SOMETHING THAT JUST WANTS TO BE OBNOXIOUS, I ACTUALLY GROOM TRAILS FOR OUR CLUB, SO KEEP YOUR EFFING OPINIONS TO YOURSELF!!

Now that's out of the way, my sled isn't stock at all.

It has SLP domes, double ring pistons, carb mods, SLP y-pipe and exhaust pipe, Cudney clutching...all running thru the OEM silencer. Like I said originally, I don't want one of the one sound fits all cans, I have heard the ones that have some sort of valves or baffles in them that are quiet when ridden slowly, but open up after, lets say half throttle. That is what I am looking for.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
OK, I DIDN'T POST IT SO I CAN GET PEOPLE GIVING THEIR OPINIONS ABOUT USING ANYTHING PUT A STOCK EXHAUST AND GUYS LIKE ME ARE RUINING THE SPORT. I'M NOT A 20 SOMETHING THAT JUST WANTS TO BE OBNOXIOUS, I ACTUALLY GROOM TRAILS FOR OUR CLUB, SO KEEP YOUR EFFING OPINIONS TO YOURSELF!!

Now that's out of the way, my sled isn't stock at all.
It has SLP domes, double ring pistons, carb mods, SLP y-pipe and exhaust pipe, Cudney clutching...all running thru the OEM silencer. Like I said originally, I don't want one of the one sound fits all cans, I have heard the ones that have some sort of valves or baffles in them that are quiet when ridden slowly, but open up after, lets say half throttle. That is what I am looking for.
The sno stuff can I took off was pretty loud and I replaced it with an slp pipe and muffler and it sounds nearly stock. A little more growl but not horrible by any means. Maybe try that set up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would also like to add, GGB has 3 vatiation of their cans now. They are also the leading aftermarket exhaust company for sled cans. They now have the quite can/trail can/mountain can. Just some extra recommendations.

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,653 Posts
There are no aftermarket "cans" that are the same db as the OEM let alone verified as such.......

:deadhorse:

-grover

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Wrong

Grover is correct. Your living in a strange fantasy world, or your deaf. Cans are for posers. Even on a mod engine there is no power to be gained. If you think so you need to study how an expansion chamber works. Racetrack sleds are a different thing, so I guess your trying to sound like a 'racer" for $300. That's a poser thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Grover is correct. Your living in a strange fantasy world, or your deaf. Cans are for posers. Even on a mod engine there is no power to be gained. If you think so you need to study how an expansion chamber works. Racetrack sleds are a different thing, so I guess your trying to sound like a 'racer" for $300. That's a poser thing.
Actually, you're both wrong to make the assumption all aftermarket cans are higher db than stock. That is simply untrue, and a mistake on your part to assert such a fallacy in an argument without any reputable proof.

Your argument is not proof rev...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.