Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To say I'm "reved" up about this would be an understatement. Over the past several years I have purchased 5 new Skidoos and always upgraded the exhaust with an exhaust canister from some aftermarket company. For two reasons, 1. I love the noise. 2. A considerable weight savings. This year I took my '02 MXZ700 to a chassis dyno shop to have the clutches tuned in. With the MBRP Trail can in place the engine would rev to 8200 rpms then fall back to 7600. The dyno owner could not figure out why. We tried two different size jets and several clutching adjustments. Finally he asked if I had my stock muffler. I did and we installed it. The motor reved to 8200 and held there. So for the noise and the few pounds of weight savings it cost you HP. Are all aftermarket cans Junk?

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
The stock can is designed to hold the heat in the pipe aftermarket cans scavenges to much heat out of the pipe at higher RPMs and the engine can't pull the sled so loss of RPMs

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
boondocker01 said:
The stock can is designed to hold the heat in the pipe aftermarket cans scavenges to much heat out of the pipe at higher RPMs and the engine can't pull the sled so loss of RPMs

[snapback]289056[/snapback]​
That makes sense. So they do "suck"

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Adirondack said:
I saw no performance loss at all with my J&T.
[snapback]289061[/snapback]​
Did you run it against the stock muffler on a dyno?
If not, how do you know? The J&T may be better than the MBRP but it makes sense that the big stock muffler helps hold the heat in the pipe better than these little canisters. At top end the engine needs that heat in the pipe to make max HP.

·
Registered
862 Posts
kirk700 said:
Adirondack said:
If not, how do you know? The J&T may be better than the MBRP but it makes sense that the big stock muffler helps hold the heat in the pipe better than these little canisters. At top end the engine needs that heat in the pipe to make max HP.
[snapback]289080[/snapback]​
no but I ran it on the lake, 2 mph top end. switched to a friends sled, had the same results, he gained 2 as well. Both were 05 sdi's

·
Registered
205 Posts
We all know that you dont gain power with a can, but can actually lose. This is the first time in my life that I have seen an aftermarket product that folks are happy with when they "didnt lose any power" If you dont gain anything but noise, and often lose performance or mileage, why the hell are you buying this crap in the first place?

Kirk, your topic description was accurate. You already knew the answer.

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
A Can for a SDI has baffels in it to hold heat in for the heat probe so the MPEM doesn't freakout and over comensate for being to cold.

·
734 Power
2,600 Posts
my vote is for HPS, adds a couple horses but it defintely isnt quiet

·
Registered
262 Posts
Some swedes tried a few different aftermarket cans and the best one only lost 2 hp i think. Ranged from 2-4 hp loss or something like that. The only real benefit would be weight savings. And for those of us who makes sledmovies (for fun, no profit lol) it sounds good on film. *Braaaap*

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
kirk700 said:
Adirondack said:
Oh no he didn't do that , the're all junk, there's a couple around here that you can hear running around at night, sound asome but just don't pull, they buzz and are extremely noisy , when you come along side they vere off and turn away, they're to loud when you ride with them, they must just kill the drivers.

·
Registered
862 Posts
kuziw said:
kirk700 said:
Adirondack said:
Oh no he didn't do that , the're all junk, there's a couple around here that you can hear running around at night, sound asome but just don't pull, they buzz and are extremely noisy , when you come along side they vere off and turn away, they're to loud when you ride with them, they must just kill the drivers.
[snapback]289718[/snapback]​
didn't do it on the dyno, but I did see a small gain on top end. I did it mostly for extra storage room under the hood for my oil and for it different tone. I got the quiet can so it just sounds different, not louder. I wish I had a dyno shop near me and a few pennies to play with to see the results on paper. Until then I'm happy with the results on the trail. To defend all other post on this topic I have to admit (and have tried) mbrp, jaws, the thing, and dynoport and they all lose top end speed. The J&T is actually flow tested so performance is not lost.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Why buy a noise making aftermarket can that is not proven to give hp gain???? Why buy aftermarket headlight covers that don't improve viewability??? Why buy those stinging bee decals that do not improve performance??? why change decals on your sled if they don't improve performance??? He__, why buy a Harley that makes all that noise??? We all try to make our sled unique and different. No hard feelings...just try to always look at the other side

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Adirondack said:
kuziw said:
kirk700 said:
Adirondack said:
[snapback]289718[/snapback]​
didn't do it on the dyno, but I did see a small gain on top end. I did it mostly for extra storage room under the hood for my oil and for it different tone. I got the quiet can so it just sounds different, not louder. I wish I had a dyno shop near me and a few pennies to play with to see the results on paper. Until then I'm happy with the results on the trail. To defend all other post on this topic I have to admit (and have tried) mbrp, jaws, the thing, and dynoport and they all lose top end speed. The J&T is actually flow tested so performance is not lost.
[snapback]289847[/snapback]​
DON'T RACE A STOCK 600SDI, YOU'LL HURT

1 - 18 of 18 Posts